Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Discombobulated

Honestly, today feels like Monday.  I feel sort of discombobulated due to everyone's schedules being wonky yesterday.

Two things happened that surprised me.  I don't even have photos.  Yikes.

One, I dressed for cutting wood, and as I was putting on head gear (to keep the wood chips out of my hair) Hubby said, "I going to go pick up R to help me cut wood."

"What?"


"I don't want you to hurt your back today."

I was flabbergasted.  I was dead set on helping as I always do.  I smiled and told him I would go muck the coop.

As I walked into the kitchen, I explained to my 17 year-old what transpired and she said, "you can't go clean the coop, you'll hurt your back so I'll go do it."

I was flabbergasted a second time.  She hates to help me muck the chicken coop.  

So, having two of the most physical jobs taken off my list, I tackled the kitchen, and got the 5 gallon bucket of laundry soap refilled (and put back by help).  I washed down a few more cupboards, and so forth, and prepared a hot lunch of home canned tomato soup and sandwiches for the help.  

Right after that we took a ride to the grocery store on the motorcycle, but realize we forgot to pick up the dawn soap (ha ha!).  I guess we were so excited to be able to stop work that early that we went out without the list. It was very short anyway.  The motorcycle saves us on gas, and the ride is always welcoming to end a work day.  It really is therapy for us. 

I did not finish my to-do list from yesterday:

 On my to-do list . . .
...in no particular order
~pick up chicken feed
~muck chicken coop
~split wood
~mix up a 5 gallon bucket of homemade laundry detergent
~make a jar of homemade taco mix for Mom
~sweep the kitchen
~fold towels I brought in off the line last night 
~look one of my crochet patterns to share
~restock the porch with firewood
~clean ashes from the stoves
~dump the ash bucket
~take the outside Christmas lights down and put them away
(my Vet-Tech daughter put them up when I was sick and doesn't want to take them down.  Imagine that.  Hmpf.)
~crack a few walnuts
~remove popcorn from a few cobs
~file a few newly tried recipes 


But for the most part, the most important chores were finished.  However, my Vet-Tech, who put up the Christmas lights and took down the lights, left the cords laying outside.  What is it with kids these days?  And she left the ladder out.

The kids have kept up on the dishes and I've been a stickler on making sure they put things where they belong.  I think they are getting frustrated with my reminders, but are much better (so far) and picking up after themselves.  Mornings have been much happier - no dishes in the sink (or less of them), nothing on the table, towels drying where they should be etc.  Now if could just get them to turn lights off.

Well, I'm off to start my day.  Enjoy your day!  The sun is about to rise.  And today it's beautiful!

 

4 comments:

Sam I Am...... said...

Ah, I remember my Dad raising a ruckus about leaving lights on and I also remember wondering 'what the big deal was'.....he never explained to me that it cost money! Now I raise a ruckus with myself when I do it! LOL!
So glad you are being cared for...sometimes you're not appreciated until they realize how much you do...although your husband seems to appreciate you.....kids.....it takes a little more time! LOL! Glad someone lifted that detergent bucket for you too!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I Am, we ran out of detergent while I was in the hospital, and Hubby bought some organic brand from the store. I'm glad it was filled back up and back in the utility room.

Rain said...

Today feels like Sunday for me...I can't get my days straight. If I didn't look at the corner of my computer now and then, I'd lose track of the dates! I'm glad you're getting a lot of help! It's hard to rest when you need to, I can only speak for myself. When I'm sick or out of commission, I get bored and need to get back on schedule. And if things are put back in their place...or things get left around the house...I feel terribly discombobulated! (great choice of words!)

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Rain, it was nice to get the help. I don't usually keep track of date or time when I bee-bopping around working. I probably should.