Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Sunday, January 22, 2017

Growing Heirloom Peanuts

I'm very late in posting about the peanuts, so it's being posted today.

We grew heirloom peanuts last year.  A small "test" patch area of the garden, and although a few did not sprout leaves, many did.

We planted Negrito Manduvi peanuts, and purchased the starter peanuts from Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co.

We pulled the plants (or I should say "I" pulled them), and allowed the tops to dry before removing the peanuts.



The peanuts were then roasted in the oven with salt.  I think I roasted them at 350°F for about 15-20 minutes.


These peanuts are very small, but tasty.  Most shells were not even an inch long, leaving each nut inside a 1/2 inch long or less. These little nuggets have powerful flavor, even at such a small size.  They have a black skin on the peanut itself.  I guess I should have taken a photo of that too, but I think I posted it last year.

Will I plant peanuts again?  Maybe.  We were lucky to have hot temps, which helps the peanuts grow.  I'm sure we'll find something "new" to plant this coming garden season.

4 comments:

Sam I Am...... said...

I re member my Mom planted peanuts when they first moved South but I never got to try any. Yours turned out great! I love Baker seeds!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I Am, I'm in Ohio, and they grew great. Hubby was very impressed on the flavor. I would need to plant more for this big family.

RB said...

Gee, I bet we could easily grow peanuts here in south central NC. Bro Tom and the dog go through several bags of roasted unsalted monthly. We get the unsalted cause that much salt wouldn't be good for either of them.
Me, I love them boiled which is weird for someone born in the north, but I got the taste for them when I lived in Georgia.
Thanks for giving me the idea.
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, when I was down south for military graduations, we tried the boiled peanuts. I didn't like them, but Hubby sort of did. They were pretty easy to grow. I just watered them outdoors until there was sign of growth, and let the rain take over. Pulling the plants out was pretty easy too. Most just came right out with very little dirt.