Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, June 29, 2016

It's Cooling Down!

My future goal is to have enough space for a good supply of sweet potatoes in a root cellar.  We are finding ways to swap out white for sweet potatoes more often, but I still like my red potatoes.  

Although a lack of rain is getting me a bit worried, I am keeping things watered.  The green onions looked terrible, but I found enough to whip up another sweet potato salad to go with our dinner (or be the dinner since the temperature was 91 degrees out).
The temperature is cooling down for us, but no rain yet.

Not sure if I'll get a root cellar this year.  Although the lack of rain would make it conducive to get it built, Hubby's long hours are a bit overwhelming.  

Shell peas are starting to come one.  I am picking a few here and there and they look wonderful.

I'm thrilled with my bathroom scale this week.  For three years I struggled to keep extra weight off, and now I'm down again.  That's a total of 18.6 pounds since Hubby bought the Harley, and a grand total of 29.6 pounds from my heaviest of three years ago.  Could it be the brazil nuts?  Overall healthy eating?  A combination of everything and exercise?  I don't know, but I'm sticking with it.  My nails are going crazy too.

8 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Big, big congratulations on the wonderful weight loss! We've cut out desserts for the past few months, except for special occasions, and I know I've lost some weight. I haven't stepped on a scale in years, but I can tell my pants are looser. Ain't it a great feeling?

Sam I Am...... said...

Good for you on the weight and the nails and eating healthy! Those peas do look beautiful along with all those healthy things on your plate. Keep up the good work! You're motivating me!

Debby Flowers said...

congrats on the weight loss Kristina! It's been a lifelong struggle for me too, but sure do feel better at a healthy weight!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, it is a great feeling for sure.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you Sam I Am. I'm glad I am motivating you.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Debby, it feels great to have a healthier weight. I felt like I was walking every day for nothing until now.

Nancy In Boise said...

It's been 100 here all week :( Just lots of water and glad for our mulch!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Little Homestead, we would be hurting here if it got that hot. We have not had rain.