Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, October 29, 2015

Campfire Enchilladas

We made these the other day, and that is not my homemade tortilla in the photo (sadly).  I had purchased food supplies to go camping, so we ended up making "camper" meals this week instead (minus the camping).

This recipe was a first time try for us.  You simply brown one pound of ground beef with onion, drain, add homemade taco seasoning, fire roasted tomatoes and chilies.  Heat and layer organic re-fried beans, beef mixture and cheese into a soft flour tortilla.

It's pretty much a one or two pan dish, depending on if you heat your beans separately.  We also found that reheating the beef mixture/beans, and adding scrambled eggs, makes a wonderful breakfast burrito the next morning. 

I've also seen recipes online where you can wrap up the entire enchilada, wrap it in foil and cook it that way, over the campfire.  Chicken enchiladas would be tasty too.

Maybe by the time we get to go camping again, I'll have a stash of homemade tortillas in my freezer.

6 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Sounds like a tasty, fairly easy meal. I like the idea of wrapping them in foil and heating over a campfire. (Or on top of the wood stove!) You could also put them rolled up in a shallow dish, sprinkle a little cheese on top and warm in oven. Wouldn't be so easy to eat with your fingers that way though. (Oooo, ow, burny, burny!)

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, that is a great idea using the wood stove. I think I'll serve salsa with it next time too. Yum!

RB said...

We're having something similar to this tonight too. I made the mix pretty much like you did except with chili powder instead of taco seasonings and salsa instead of tomatoes (cause that's what I had).
I browned the beef separately and then drained it well ( because I'd gotten a deal on 70/30 and didn't want all that grease in the mix). Then I put the drained meat back into the skillet, added diced onions, green peppers and celery leaves chopped, and when the peppers were tender, I added in the salsa and mixed it thoroughly.
Then I dumped it all into a casserole dish, topped it with Mexican blend shredded cheese, and it's baking in the oven right now.
I will serve it spooned out of the casserole with a big spoon onto small flour tortillas, roll it up and eat it. Yum!!!
God bless.
RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, thought about adding some diced green peppers too. Hubby likes things spicy, so I'll be sure to take along a hot pepper or two when we go camping.

RB said...

If I'd had a poblano, it would have gone in there. LOL
Brother loved it, and interesting thing was, with the golden melted cheese layer on the top, you could "slice" it out and fit it nicely in a taco shell and it didn't fall out. Next time, I'll be better with my shopping list and we'll lettuce and tomatoes with it - oh, and a poblano too.
If you needed to stretch it, you could add a bit of cooked rice too.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Poblano sounds wonderful too! Good idea.