Skip to main content

Campfire Enchilladas

We made these the other day, and that is not my homemade tortilla in the photo (sadly).  I had purchased food supplies to go camping, so we ended up making "camper" meals this week instead (minus the camping).

This recipe was a first time try for us.  You simply brown one pound of ground beef with onion, drain, add homemade taco seasoning, fire roasted tomatoes and chilies.  Heat and layer organic re-fried beans, beef mixture and cheese into a soft flour tortilla.

It's pretty much a one or two pan dish, depending on if you heat your beans separately.  We also found that reheating the beef mixture/beans, and adding scrambled eggs, makes a wonderful breakfast burrito the next morning. 

I've also seen recipes online where you can wrap up the entire enchilada, wrap it in foil and cook it that way, over the campfire.  Chicken enchiladas would be tasty too.

Maybe by the time we get to go camping again, I'll have a stash of homemade tortillas in my freezer.

Comments

Mama Pea said…
Sounds like a tasty, fairly easy meal. I like the idea of wrapping them in foil and heating over a campfire. (Or on top of the wood stove!) You could also put them rolled up in a shallow dish, sprinkle a little cheese on top and warm in oven. Wouldn't be so easy to eat with your fingers that way though. (Oooo, ow, burny, burny!)
Mama Pea, that is a great idea using the wood stove. I think I'll serve salsa with it next time too. Yum!
RB said…
We're having something similar to this tonight too. I made the mix pretty much like you did except with chili powder instead of taco seasonings and salsa instead of tomatoes (cause that's what I had).
I browned the beef separately and then drained it well ( because I'd gotten a deal on 70/30 and didn't want all that grease in the mix). Then I put the drained meat back into the skillet, added diced onions, green peppers and celery leaves chopped, and when the peppers were tender, I added in the salsa and mixed it thoroughly.
Then I dumped it all into a casserole dish, topped it with Mexican blend shredded cheese, and it's baking in the oven right now.
I will serve it spooned out of the casserole with a big spoon onto small flour tortillas, roll it up and eat it. Yum!!!
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, thought about adding some diced green peppers too. Hubby likes things spicy, so I'll be sure to take along a hot pepper or two when we go camping.
RB said…
If I'd had a poblano, it would have gone in there. LOL
Brother loved it, and interesting thing was, with the golden melted cheese layer on the top, you could "slice" it out and fit it nicely in a taco shell and it didn't fall out. Next time, I'll be better with my shopping list and we'll lettuce and tomatoes with it - oh, and a poblano too.
If you needed to stretch it, you could add a bit of cooked rice too.
Poblano sounds wonderful too! Good idea.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart