Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Thursday, January 29, 2015

Tidbits ~ Egg-less Blueberry Muffins

People driving by often ask Hubby if he makes me put the laundry out in winter.  Nope.  For show?  Nope.  It's my real life.  It smelled so good when I brought it in, and it dried completely.



I found yet another Hemingway book on my shelf.  Yay!  These are the last two to read, and then I start checking the library for more.  I started reading The Sun Also Rises, yesterday, while boiling pasta for dinner.



Yesterday, I was eager to start (and finish) a new project.  To motivate my writing on a quicker level, I sat the items on my table, and promised myself to write first, then craft.  

Did it work?  

Nope.

I abandoned my paper (some days writing by hand is just needed and/or desired), and grabbed those scissors. 

Tsk. Tsk.  I did not accomplish what I wanted, in the way of writing.  Not to mention we had other duties around here.

So, today, I plan to surpass all crafting projects taunting me, and write.



No eggs?  No problem.  The chewy granola bars only lasted two days around here.  Lunch packers nabbed those up in no time.  There were only five slices of pumpkin bread leftover as well, so I needed to make yet another packing for lunches.

The internet came to my rescue yesterday, when looking through my cookbooks seemed tiresome. 

I found an egg-less blueberry muffin recipe (actually there were many).  I decided to try one I found on a "vegan" website.  I'm not vegan, but the recipe did not call for eggs, and I had one egg in the fridge.  I liked this particular recipe, due to being able to use organic apple cider vinegar and my homemade lemon extract.  I did not have any lemon zest in my freezer, nor fresh lemons, so I doubled the lemon extract.


I also used almond milk vs. organic milk for this recipe, only because I had it on hand, and organic milk is almost $7/gallon here.  I also used home canned applesauce in place of expensive organic/non-gmo canola oil. 

How did they taste? Pretty good.  They did however, stick to the liners a bit.  They may be better off baked directly in the muffin tin.

Along with organic cow's milk, I'll be watching out for more sales and freezing it for preparedness reasons.  Until I have fresh goat's milk again anyway.

13 comments:

Susan said...

This reminds me - I have to make Blueberry Millet muffins again! Finally, eggs are not a problem. Wish we were closer - I would give you a dozen! I have some sewing that needs to be done, so I put it right out on my side table so I couldn't ignore it. I did. And started another knitting project. Sounds like your packed lunches are to die for!

Sandra said...

Freeze Dried Laundry :)
I need to get a nice laundry line.

Michelle said...

Glad to hear they turned out for you. I have problems staring on track too. I have several crafts I need to finish, yet I am dieing to start a pattern I got at the quilt show.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Susan, I haven't made millet muffins in a while too. Our chickens just slowed down a bit, but I did bring in some eggs last night (thankfully). Putting a project in plain sight helps me focus on getting everything else done to work on it. I would love to expand my knowledge on knitting. I've only made dishcloths so far (with knitting).

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sandra, there was just enough sun and wind to dry it. Most days here have been gloomy out.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Michelle, my oldest daughter was home yesterday, so she was the one to keep after me to stay on track, ha ha!

Unknown said...

We're lucky to get organic milk at costco for $5.99 a gallon (I think?)...

RB said...

You sound so busy all the time, puts me to shame even WITH my age (67+) and part-time job. LOL

God bless.

RB
<><

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Nancy, when they clearance organic milk, I can typically buy it for $2.99/gallon.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

RB, I do enjoy baking in winter. I can heat up the oven and not roast us out of the house, like I do in summer time.

RB said...

Wish I was a good baker. I can do mixes ok if I wanted to bother with them, and pie crust, I make the worst ever.
But my quilting and crocheting are top notch, so I'm not totally without talents. Praise God!!!
God bless.
RB
<><

Sam I Am...... said...

I wonder if I could hang out now and the ticks would not get in my clothes? Do they hibernate in the winter? What I need to do is get a new clothesline but I'm thinking I just want to keep packing and move.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sam I am, we don't have ticks here in winter. I'm hoping this winter kills more off too.