Skip to main content

Waiting. . .

 We are still waiting on our paste tomatoes to turn red, but in the meantime, we are getting ripe beef tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, green beans, cucumbers etc.  We have only gotten about 3 jalapenos so far.  We are getting more Anaheim peppers (jokes on us).  We'll take it, ha ha!  These were planted in another garden area (they were marked as bell peppers at the green house).

If you read about our hot pepper devastation, something ate the tops off all 80-some plants (possibly very small baby rabbits got into the fence).  We located a few more plants, but definitely not enough to can cowboy candy, nor can pickled jalapenos, nor have enough for many other recipes we can, but a few is better than none.

We are getting some kale, collards and swiss chard, but not in the amounts I had hoped for.  I will plant them much earlier next year, but we plan to get busy with a fall planting too.



Creamy Cucumber Salad.  The recipe is from Real Food Dietitians (online).  It is a Greek yogurt based dressing.  I used fresh dill from our garden.  Very good!  My husband wanted them peeled.

We are still getting some blackberries.  I harvested some new leaves for a refreshing cup of brewed blackberry leaves.  It's been the largest berry harvest ever, but we got nothing from the red raspberries. Not sure why, but no blossoms on the red.  

Anyway, a friend shared a product she bought on Amazon, that she ties around her gardens to keep the birds out.  It's a metallic ribbon on a roll, so you can cut whatever length you want.  I tied this into my berry bushes, on it's worked very well.

We did not plant a large amount of green beans, so they are being blanched and put into the freezer this season.  I use a "fryer" basket to place in the boiling water to blanch, then place the basket in the ice bath.  Works so much easier than trying to spoon it out with a slotted spoon or other strainer.

We are patiently waiting on the paste tomatoes to ripen.  We had to plant late due to the cold May.  I have only found two tomato worms this season thankfully.

Pickling cucumbers are a bit behind our marketmore (slicing), but they are slowly producing.  The hot banana pepper plants we bought after the massacre, are not looking promising, but we are still praying for a harvest.  

Rainy days have been busy too, and we are getting more rain.  Again.

Comments

Carol said…
Our garden did not do well this year, but I have canned some carrots and potatoes
This has been an odd gardening year here. Usually our tomatoes are going gang busters by now, but I think the heavy intense weeks of rain really hurt them. I guess now that it has dried out some we will see how they do the rest of the summer.
Betsy said…
I always find your garden information interesting even though I don't have one anymore. I wish I had thought of that fryer basket thing back when I was blanching and freezing 125 qt. bags of beans a year! Ha!
I think I've had a very similar cucumber salad and would love to try it.
I did find my pattern for the virus blanket and will try to remember to make a copy for you when we get home.
Blessings,
Betsy
Carol, I have yet to see if our potatoes did well. they were planted late this year. Sorry to hear your garden did not do well.
Anne in the kitchen, same here. Just waiting to see what happens. Very strange weather again this year.
Betsy, I used to do the same with the beans, until someone told me about the "fryer basket" idea. I love it. Thanks. I will be looking forward to getting the pattern, Blessings.
Are you still around? I miss seeing your posts. Hope all if well.
diane in norther wis, yes, I am still here. I am sorry for the delay. I just posted today. I just haven't had much to post (that was new anyway). Thanks for checking in on me.

Popular posts from this blog

Question

  I have asked this before, but I know I follow a few writers who have written (and published) novels.  What is the best free or best least expensive (simple like Word) writing software to use that is not Google Docs? Thanks! I'll be back with an update soon I hope.  But I do appreciate your help, because I cannot find the information some of you suggested.

Horsetail Salve ~ A "first" this Year

We purchased some horsetail salve to try last year.  It is said to help with severely dry, cracked skin.  My husband was the first to try it, with very, very dry and cracked hands from work. He loves it!  He joked I could not have it back.   I started the infused, horsetail oil the last part of March. Something I learned:   horsetail is also called shavegrass. I infused horsetail in oil, and strained it.  I then made horsetail salve.  I remembered to label my jar with what oil(s) I used, so I can journal this all in my "Herbal Remedies" journal.  I often forget to write the oil used. Now, the one we bought, has more in it than I put in ours, as far as ingredients (the purchased salve had lanolin, and aloe).  We'll see if ours works just as good.  I added the sage essential oil, and vitamin E oil. A "first" time experience for us this year.    I bought the larger tins at a seed store in an Amish area last year.  They a...

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart