Skip to main content

Using what we have . . .

New salad recipe tried.  A white bean salad with garden cherry tomatoes and some chopped Red Russian kale.  There are many recipes for this type of recipe. I believe we added garden parsley and some feta cheese.  I am using our chive infused vinegars for many dressings as well.  I honestly cannot recall which recipe we actually used, but  there are many Mediterranean seasoned recipes online for this.


New salad recipe tried.  I did not use every single ingredient, but pretty close.  We loved this just as I made it too, but next time we may just try adding avocado to it.  I used organic quinoa, our homegrown cucumbers, basil and green onions, local sweet corn, and the dressing was made with my home canned Blueberry-Basil Vinegar (instead of the sherry vinegar the recipe called for).  I sprinkled extra sunflower seeds on top of our salads, and we really liked it.  I also used one clove of freshly minced garlic in the dressing.

The recipe is online with The Salad Whisperer - Cucumber Corn and Quinoa Salad with basil.

I would take this salad to a potluck.  I added the basil just before I served it.


New sausage breakfast casserole we tried.  Why?  Well, I had a bag of frozen (diced) potatoes in the freezer, that was purchased for a family gathering.  It never got used for whatever reasons, and aside from giving it away, it had to be used.  I liked the fact that the recipe called for 8 eggs vs. 12 eggs.  I used my homemade seasoned salt for this recipe.

It's called "Best Breakfast Casserole Recipe with Sausage" and it's online with The Food Charlatan.

I adapted organic ingredients, like the butter, half and half etc.  I used bell peppers from the garden, as well as two Anaheim peppers form the garden.  Although loaded with the frozen potatoes as the base, which we are not used to, it was very good!  It can be made the day before, and it reheats nicely.  My husband said, it would be "really good with homemade sausage gravy poured over the top."

I would take this casserole to a breakfast potluck.


The storms knocked down all 3 of the plums that were growing on the new tree we planted this year.  You can see how small they were, but we tried them, and boy are they delicious.  The green bell pepper is from the garden, but the storms did some damage to the plants there too.  




Comments

I am a big fan of using what you have on hand. TO me a recipe is just a suggestion anyway.
The salad and casserole both sound delicious.
Betsy said…
Those salads all look yummy, but that breakfast casserole. Delicious. I have always loved sausage and egg casseroles. I think it's because we made them for lots of ladies breakfasts, Easter breakfast at church, etc. Good memories with other people.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy
Anne in the kitchen, I agree on recipes being suggestions. I love mixing things up.
Betsy, all was pretty good, but yes, that breakfast casserole was so good. Many recipes call for the shredded, but I only had the diced potatoes. The recipe said to add melted butter and mix, then bake the potatoes first. It was hard to mix melted butter into frozen potatoes, but it worked out nicely, and the potatoes worked out well (vs. shredded).

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart