Skip to main content

This and That


Things we learned gardening:

Yes, you can learn something new, even after years and years of planting a garden.  

I came up with an idea to keep cucumbers from spreading out all over the ground, making weeding a nightmare.  

Let me back up a minute.  My husband insisted that we not plant anything whatsoever, that spreads out on a vine this year.  Between the squash bugs last year, and the tiresome weeding with vine-type plants (that spread out on the ground like spaghetti squash, pumpkins etc.), he did not want to deal with it this year.

Bent on having cucumbers from the garden, I suggested (and I came up with this on my own, not knowing it really is a way to grow these), that we use large tomato cages to grow our cucumbers.   The plants climb up and not outward.

I can't believe not one gardener suggested this to us in the last 20 some years.  If they did, I did not pay attention.  We already have a plan to build cucumber trellises for next year (vs. buying large metal tomato stakes).

I also planted my dill with the cucumbers this year to help with deterring certain bugs, and of course the ease of picking both in the same area (ha ha!).  Although the dill is still pretty small, it seems to be working well, and both are in the same location in the garden.



A long time project that has been in my project bag.  I finished this baby blanket.  It will be packaged up for donating later.  It is the only one I currently have for donation, so when I have  more I will drive them drop off donation (Mothers in need).  


I borrowed a pattern book from the library for this blanket.  The blanket pattern is in this book.  Your local library may have the book for you to check out.  There are many patterns for other items in this book too.

The book includes the pattern for these pacifier holders as well.

This and That ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Betsy said…
That is a GREAT idea for cucumbers. Even though I don't have a garden anymore, I'm sure it will help someone and I wish I had known it sooner. The blanket is gorgeous and thanks for the information on the book. I'll have to check our library when I get home.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy
chipmunk said…
Great idea about the tomato cages! Interestingly, I gave up on the cages this year for our tomatoes, which always seem to grow beyond them and get all tangled and sprawl everywhere, so I attatched them, as they grew, to our cucumber trellis. For the cukes, I made tepees out of 3 sticks which sorta works but it's hard to attach the plants to the sticks. I think tomato cages would work so much better!
Betsy, you are welcome. the book has many patterns, and has a pattern for a matching baby hat and booties to the blanket pattern I made. Blessings and hugs to you too.
chipmunk, they are working very very well, and worth thee cost for us to buy a few of them. Not only is it much easier to weed, but I can see the cucumbers so much easier to harvest too. The cucumbers do not lay on the ground either. The cucumber plants climb upward nicely. Every now and then I see a stray shoot and place it upward in the cage. I'm thrilled with how well it's working.
Carol said…
I have never heard of using a cage for cucumbers either, but what an amazing idea

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart