Skip to main content

Gardening and some rambling

Pardon me, while I down coffee with the hopes to revive my tired self, and gather my scrupples.  One can easily forget the amount of physical labor it takes to plant a vegetable garden, until it's planting time again.  Wowzer. 

Nothing like popping a few arnica capsules, after rubbing arnica salve into my knuckles and very sore hands, and all before heading to the garden.  Kicking myself for not dehydrating enough dandelions to make dandelion salve, but weather was against us this spring.

Allergy season this year is the worst year ever.  My eyes feel like daggers stabbing them most days, and my nose is so dry, I have to use a spray with aloe to survive outdoor work.  The cotton wood is terrible, and looks like a fuzzy white blanket over the grass top.  Thank goodness for nettle tea for some relief.  However, it's not been enough.  

One day we battled awful wind while gardening, and I developed a really bad earache.  I have not had an earache for over 30 plus years or even more.  I've spoke with other people, and allergy season this year is over-the-top bad.


(use cotton rounds or crocheted cotton rounds, but I brew it daily as needed and/or brew it the night before).

In fact, I haven't had to make an herbal eye compress for my eyes, since about 2016.  I just create a tea with dried calendula from the herb garden, cool it and apply with cotton rounds.  It came in handy again this year, ten years later.

I ended up going to the doctor, and guess who had a double ear infection?  Yep.  Have no idea how that happened.  I have not had an ear infection for over 30 years maybe.  The doctor could not be specific, if the allergy season caused it or what. 

                

Now on to other news....


Comfrey is doing very well, and in bloom.  I'll be dehydrating some of this soon.  

Comfrey is a great fertilizer, but from what I am researching, not good for newly planted fruit trees.  Fruit trees need to establish their roots first.


Speaking of trees, the newest plum tree is producing a few plums.  Same with the peach tree we planted last year.

My mullein seeds did not sprout.  I am told they are very very difficult to start yourself, and it's best to find them wild growing.  I typically find them here, so I'm praying we do.  


                        

Dinner has been basically whatever I can gather from the freezer for now.  It all depends on who has the most energy afterwards to cook it too. Grilled chicken, vegetables, and whatever fruit is on hand.  It's been the bare minimum cooking after a long day.

In hindsight, I should have whipped up a pasta salad prior to the start of planting season, but we learn each year.

My husband has been going to work with peanut butter and jelly this planting season.  We end up with very little leftovers, and very little kitchen time obviously.  Nothing like a good ol' peanut butter and jelly though.



Meanwhile, what is growing?


Picked this asparagus on one day, and saw that there were even more very small new sprouts coming up.  

Picked this on June 4th.  Beats our longest harvest yet.

The weather has been in the upper 80's, low 90's and hot.  Not much rain either.   It means we are watering often for now.  Our AC is not on yet, and I'm working on hiring help to get that going. Hopefully soon.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart