Skip to main content

Cleavers Cold Infusion

 




A new "first time" for us was to make a cold infusion with cleavers.  It is a bonus weed that we get this time of year when we weed the flower beds and the vegetable garden.  Heck, I see it growing in the asparagus, so I'll be pulling more of it this weekend (in between rainfalls).  If you harvest wild medicinal weeds/plants, I would love your feedback on this.  I believe I dehydrated it many years ago, but it's best when harvested fresh.  I have only one friend who also harvests this, but sadly, she does not live very close to me.

Side note: I made a face wash back in 2018 with cleavers, but never kept up with making it and using it over the years.

Rain returns starting tonight, and on and off all weekend.  Woke up to 49°F, and again we have not planted the vegetable garden yet. Still on time, but slightly late if we can get it done soon.  However, we were unable to obtain organic sweet potato starts, so no sweet potatoes will be planted (as of now).  Also, our potatoes, radishes, greens, should have been in the ground weeks ago.  Gardener struggles are normal.

Update on the honey I am infusing.  The color is looking just like the honey we purchased last year, so I'm hopeful it will taste just as good.

Crochet work has slowed down for a bit.  I have wandered upstairs for poly-fil for the project in hand, and thankfully I did not donate it to any cause yet.  While I was looking at what yarn I do have left, I visualized a few baby blankets. 

Cleavers Cold Infusion  ©  May 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart 


Comments

Faith said…
I think I found some near the rain barrel. I did an id on it, and said it was Cleavers. I brewed fresh, and froze into cubes. I ordered some seeds to, which will not be sewn just yet. I should get more and dehydrate, but I’ve read fresh is best.๐Ÿค”๐Ÿงถ❤️๐Ÿž๐Ÿ•ฏ๐Ÿงˆ๐Ÿ‘
I think what you call cleavers is what we always called begger's lice. I have never done anything with it except get rid of it. I am going to have to do some investigation on its uses.
Betsy said…
I have never heard of cleavers before. You have the most interesting posts. I'm still working on the same baby blanket I've had going most of the week. I've been distracted by other things a lot this week. I did order lots of yarn on the Premier website. It came with free shipping and a lot better prices than any I could find locally so I stocked up on colors that I use frequently. This should hold me for another year of charity blankets and shawls. Except baby yarn. I think I'll probably keep getting that at Walmart as I need it as they have the best price that I've found so far.
It's raining here again today too and I'm enjoying the sound. The only thing better would be sitting in the camper with a good book or yarn in hand. :-)
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy
Faith, I really felt it did my body some good, so I may brew more if we find more, and freeze the brewed version of it.
Anne in the kitchen, I have only made a face cleanser with it, but never kept doing it, but I dehydrated some one year. I later found out the fresh version is much better. I may be freezing some brewed if we find more of it. It only produces about this time of the year here.
Betsy, I dug out some 3 ply baby yarn try a new baby blanket pattern, and it was way too small. I may try to increase the pattern. I'll let you know. I need to finish my current project for someone first. Yes, I have always been interested in weeds that help our bodies. I really liked the cleavers, but it works like a diuretic, so you definitely don't want to go walk a long hike the same day. That was my only side effect of drinking the cold infusion, but I would not make a quart of it unless freezing some of it next time. It helps remove stagnate water in the body and gives it a lymphatic cleanse per what I am reading about it.
Interesting that you are making something useful out of weeds:)
Far Side of Fifty, It works too! I am already brewing more to freeze for the rest of the year.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart