Skip to main content

Borage ~ More Asparagus and Rain

 

Last year, we planted borage and rosemary in with the zucchini, yellow squash and other squash plants.  It was an attempt to deter the nasty squash bugs.  It for one, did not work to deter those bugs (did not even grow well enough to harvest anything from the plants either).   Two, it re-seeds itself very well, so don't plant it in your big vegetable garden like I did.  It's not spreading too badly this year, but I'm yanking it as I see it, and you know I hate to waste anything....

By the way, I'm actually seeing borage plants for sale this year.


Borage tea?  

Has anyone dehydrated or dried the borage flowers and leaves for a medicinal tea?  I'm not finding a lot of information in the resource books I have.  So far anyway.  I'm reading online that the tea from the plant, is good for reducing a fever and for reducing a bad cough.  Does anyone have any information, or experience, with borage used in this way?

Borage for dinner?

I'm doing more research on cooking borage.  Just in case I have to yank some plants ha ha!   I don't think it would be eaten very often.

I'm thinking a chimichurri over salmon, a pesto for meals, and possibly other recipes.  

I read that the borage seeds themselves contain omega-6?  Need to do more research on that.


Just when I thought our asparagus season was about over, the rain brought up more, and more is coming up.  I doubt it will amount to a large amount, but we are thankful for the continued harvest.  

Speaking of rain.....

Well, prior to the the rain, and the beginning of our high 80 degree weather, I got 3 full hours of garden work done on the flower beds.  I am not done yet, so I have much to do, but the rain returned yesterday, making the opportunity to work outside zero.  Guess what's returned again this morning?  Yep, the rain.  It's saturated.  Again.  Just one of those wet years for a start.  

It rained so hard yesterday, I had to shut windows in the house and in the chicken coop.  We do not have our AC on, despite the 80 to almost 90 degree weather.  We need help with the lifting and installing of the AC units.  Willing help is hard to find.

I can proudly say, I have earned my first blister on my hand from weeding, and for the first time, bruises on my knees from kneeling over the flower beds.  Ha!  It's all good!

Comments

I planted borage one year and it did very well. We ate it shredded in salads and it tasted like fuzzy cucumbers. We did not like the texture at all
Betsy said…
I must confess to knowing nothing about Borage. But the rainy weather has been here as well and I have no complaints. We sure needed it around here. It's chilly during the daytime too, but I like it cool so it's all good.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy
Anne in the kitchen, I kind of figured it would not be a really pleasant addition to salads. If I get more random plants, I'll probably just dry it for tea.
Betsy, we are loving the cooler weather that now moved in, but we do need dry weather to get the actual vegetable garden planted. I'm also weeding flower beds, but I'm also thankful for rainy days to get inside housecleaning done, and meal prep too. Not to mention some crochet time (he he!).

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart