Skip to main content

Birds and Blooms

 

The notorious wren is back.  She's not making a nest in the flower pot pictured above, but she picked the same location of a hanging flower basket for her nest again.

The hummingbirds are back too.  I did not have a camera on hand, but they are enjoying the early blooms already.

We just may get to dry out for a day, but after this morning's rain.  At least for a day or maybe even two, before it returns (again).

There is always something good in everything.  Including frustrating times, or moments, like days and days of rainfall.

I finished another book, tried another new treat recipe (more to try), and actually relaxed for once.  My husband grilled us the most delicious burgers too.  We had chopped up mushrooms and such, for camping, and they made the best swiss mushroom burgers I have ever had.  Speaking of which, it reminded me I still have homemade garlic scape butter in the freezer to use up too.

I harvested more cleavers in between downpours, and plan to freeze a good amount of it.  I should clarify that bit.  I am making several cold infusions, and will drain them in a day or two and then freeze some of it.

I have new flowers to take to the cemetery, but have not had a full day to drive over to place them.  My husband insisted we buy a new solar light for Mom's.  I do love it.  I need to find new flowers for my grandparents too.  Dad and Mom are not in the same cemetery, but within a drive of each other.  If one of my parents prayed for me when I was younger, I would say it was my Dad.

I did some work on my blog during the rainy days, and I am pondering if I should put a collage photo or photo at the very top.  I'm wondering if readers are enjoying the new look.

Birds and Blooms  ©  May 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart 

Comments

I like your new look. 😉 I'm using the same theme for Blogger. Change is good.
Betsy said…
We'll go to the cemetery when we get back from camping next week. I've learned not to put them out on Memorial weekend because there are signs everywhere in the cemetery that they will be removed on Tuesday. I would rather have them out for awhile so I usually wait for a week or two and then go. Dennis's and my parents are buried at the same cemetery as are his two sisters, all four grandparents and various aunts and uncles so it makes it easy to visit all of them.
Your burgers sound yummy.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy
Your new blog looks like summer on a page! Glad you relaxed!
Debby/My Shasta Home. Thank you. Yes, change is good! feels great too.
Betsy, we have not taken the flowers over yet. It is a full day trip to do it, as they are not in the same cemetery. Blessings to you too.
Anne in the kichen, thank you!
Faith said…
Look at your blog! Very nice, clean. I have not been able to choose a change I feel would be ok. I've had my blog for so long, maybe sometime. I wish blogger would resurge, I think it might some time. What is old is whats new for another generation.
Faith, when I picked this theme, I just like the colors, but I did not know how nice it and "clean" as you said it would be. I really feel my last one was too cluttered now. I do love this new theme though.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart