Skip to main content

Kidney Bean Salad

 

New recipe tried - Kidney bean salad with Lemon (recipe is free online at A Virtual Vegan).  I did make slight changes to the recipe.

What I did. . .

Instead of cane sugar, I used a Tbsp. of lemon infused honey.

I used a full organic English cucumber.

I used both fresh parsley and cilantro (had some that needed used up, as it's not garden season and I have to buy it).

I used red onion.

I chilled the salad for a few hours before serving.

We added crumbled feta to the salad when I served it.  Yum!


Rain is here again.  It's due to come down off and on later and even tomorrow morning.  Our evenings will start dipping into the 30's (hopefully no hard freeze). Thankfully, my three cilantro plants, that came up by themselves, from last year's seeds, are still thriving in the herb garden.

Kidney Bean Salad ©  April 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Jeanna said…
The salad sounds delish. Thanks for sharing the website. I found it!
Betsy said…
That looks delicious. I know Dennis would love it. My stomach wouldn't tolerate it though.
We might have some rain but probably not. It is supposed to get down to freezing this weekend. Just when the lilacs are beginning to bloom under our bedroom window.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy
Jeanna, you are welcome. We really liked it.
Betsy, we woke up to 37 degrees. I'm worried about apple blossoms, my cilantro already coming up, our asparagus, and yes, our lilacs too. Crazy weather for sure. Blessings and hugs.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart