Skip to main content

Happy Homemaker Monday

 Do you ever notice how it's hard to be around people who are negative about "Monday" and the start of the week?  

Monday gets a bad name all around.  I used to tackle so much around the house, but I have since then created a cleaning/housework schedule, and it's been working out fantastically.  Monday's are not bombarded with overwhelming to-do lists any longer.

My husband had a recent conversation about how his co-workers complain on and on about "Monday" and how terrible it is.  Is it?  

Every year I look forward to learn something new.  A new trail to walk, new herbal remedy to make, new handiwork to learn, or just about anything.  It's not only rewarding in most cases, but fun.

My "firsts" this month:

-dehydrating wild violets, and leaves

-dehydrating dandelion flowers 

-read a new author, picked up another at the library (yet to read - gulp!)

-reading a new devotional

-learned the words to a song, and inadvertently learned words (memorized) to two other songs.

-went to our first Bingo "purse" raffle (had fishing poles for the men) and fundraiser benefit.

-saw Moe Bandy in concert (now 82 years old).

-walked one out of 15 new walking trails (new to us).


(possible new salves using the above dehydrated items later).



Today I am joining Sandra at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom (will link up when she posts).

Hard to believe I was picking dandelions, wild violets and even chickweed a few days ago.  

We've been seeing a lot of lily of the valley, wild geraniums, and mayapples on our trail walks.

Planted rosemary and spearmint.  Weeded another smaller rose bed, and asparagus patch.  Planted 9 more Mary Washington asparagus starts, and dug a tree out of the berry bush area.  Trimmed two rose bushes, and weeded half the herb garden.


The Weather . . .

Last week started with hard freeze warnings.  31°F with a windchill of 27°F.    We will get thunderstorms again tonight and possible 50 mph winds.


Right now I am . . .

Sipping coffee and writing this post fairly quickly.


How I am feeling . . .

Tired of the weather fluctuation, but otherwise revived over the weekend.  We found another trail walk and loved it. (In our new personal challenge) One walking trail visited, and 14 more to go on our list.  Despite a sprained toe, walking was fine (more on that in another post).


On the breakfast plate . . .

Eggs, and real Canadian bacon.


On the menu . . .

-crock pot Four Beans and Sausage

-leftovers, Kidney bean salad (new recipe

- not sure on the rest just yet


On my reading pile . . .

I'll have to get back my current/finished books.  Forgot to take photos.  However......

Finished this one.  First time to read this author.  I laughed to my husband, as I only had this book, and realized it is part of a series.  Sigh.  I had no intentions of buying more books.  I liked this book.


On my TV . . .

Elvis movies - King Creole, Blue Hawaii

Doc - Netflix

Sarah's Oil, Netflix


Looking around the house . . .

-Good!  Took a trunk full of clothing to donate.  Clothes that were too big, not worn, etc.   Decluttered more areas and re-organized.


To-do list . . .

-make breakfast
-laundry
-make tick repellant oil
-dehydrate all of the volunteer herbs I yanked (anything growing in areas where it spread)
-Weed the rest of the herb garden, and flower beds (maybe)

-I'll be honest, I have yet to figure out the to-do's for the week.  The weather may change my list.  


What I am creating . . .

I finished the purple/white shell stitch blanket.  Delivered four crocheted baby blankets to an area pregnancy center.


Sharing . . .

Salve with wild violets, comfrey and plantain.


Watching videos like these to possibly start learning to quilt (small things right now ha ha!)


From my camera . . .




Devotional, prayer, Bible verses . . .

No prayer requests asked of me currently.

My newest devotional to share.

Happy Homemaker Monday ©  April 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Nicola said…
Glad you’re feeling more positive. Weather here in the uk is glorious 18-21c and sunny but we could use some rain (always want something) my herbs are racing away do I need to start dehydrating some especially sage . Gradually getting into a retirement rhythm. Quilting is fun go for it !
Betsy said…
My goodness you are a busy lady. It's cool and rainy here too. Supposed to be very windy tonight with north winds.I've had all of the window open, but I think I'll close them and then dust really well.. It's pretty dusty having the windows open dally recently but sleeping sure has been nice with the fresh air.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy
Luludou said…
I loved reading all about your 'firsts' it is inspiring. Trail walk is a good idea, we did one last year and were lucky no bugs or mosquitoes. Love all the tulip pictures, we are not there yet with our temperatures. Have a good week
Nicola, quilting may just happen, but in a very small way ha ha ha!
Betsy, I know I have been somewhat too busy too. I'm really trying to make sure I slow down here and there, but there always seems to be something needing done every where I look ha ha ha! Blessing and hugs!
Luludou, so happy to hear you are enjoying our "firsts" for this year. It is fun to learn and experience and just live a bit more every day.
You have been very busy. Hats off to you for trying new things. It is something we all should do weekly.
Jeanna said…
You have been super busy but with all good things. I love how you observe everything around you and give it thought. Such a lovely post today.
Leigh said…
I do like Homestead Tessie. I really like her videos.

You have a wonderful list of firsts. Your menu items sound pretty good too!
Anne in the kitchen, thanks. You are right about learning or experiencing something new every week. It's actually fun most of the time too.
Jeanna, thanks. All just regular spring "work" and outdoor work really.
Leigh, I just found her on Youtube a few weeks ago. I'm looking into two new salves, and of course neither are sold in any apothecary around here (even up to 3 hours from us). We'll see if I can prepare enough of the dried flowers to make either of them. The weather is really killing off my wild violets and dandelions this week.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart