Skip to main content

Experimental Healthier Zucchini Bread ~ Garden

 Along with an experimental baking, this is my experimental post to see how things go too.  Thank you for all of your advice on the blog issues.  

Our zucchini plants look terrible.  The weather is already doing some changes, and evenings cooler.  Today it will be humid and with scattered showers, so they may be getting a slight reviving (along with the rest of the garden).

It's mind-boggling this garden year.  I checked on the tomato plants, and we do not have enough ripe ones to can a thing just yet.  I am a wee bit concerned the nights will turn cooler before the harvest is even complete. 





I think we have decided that the bread baked with maple syrup was the winner, but we have one more version to try.  I have no idea where I got the recipe from, but will look and see if I can locate it.  The bread is made with home canned, unsweetened applesauce.  It does contain flour, but I have yet to try any with Einkorn flour.  I tossed in a small-ish bit of dark non-gmo mini chocolate bits too.  The one with honey was good, but the one with maple syrup was better in taste.

Most posts include all the garden goodness, but here is a few photos of what gardeners really deal with . . .

Watering issue I believe, along with severe heat in between.

Also, a result of the heat waves, no rain, and us attempting to water.  Black rot on many of the tomatoes.  Some with it on the very ends as well.


Rust and bugs.  We are about done with the green and wax bean harvest.  We'll see after this weeks rain.

I have attached a new spike-like baffle to one of the apple trees.  The branches start out much lower, so our 5 gallon bucket baffle did not work on that tree.  So far, it's working, but I may need to add another one just a bit higher.  The apples are not ready just yet.

Meanwhile, I have a new canning item in the works.  Hopefully, I will remember to take photos.  

Somehow I have added 3 more books to my bookshelf.  Gulp.  One of them is a non-fiction.  One was free from a free little library.  I have a stack of finished books to take to share with little libraries as well as bookmarks.

As for self care, I feel the new optometrist is much more thorough, but is asking me to come back more often for appointments than I would prefer (last place just let me go in anytime to pick up glasses, no appt. necessary).  I do believe we'll be looking into the vision center at Costco next.  We have heard good reports, the cost is much less, and less visits required.  We do not have vision insurance.

By the way, has anyone else noticed their dentist and their optometrist taking your blood pressure?  My new optometrist even asked for my weight and height.  Why are these doctors acting like a family physician?  Well I asked.  Apparently, they are looking for other health issues (more money for them?).  Isn't that the job for your primary physician?

Anyway . . . .
I'm hoping to find a few ripe regular tomatoes this week, so we can enjoy them in our meals.  


Comments

Leigh said…
I sincerely hope you get your blogger issues satisfactorily resolved. Lost you once on your blogging break and would hate to lose you again!

Interesting about the maple syrup. I buy it for pancakes and waffles, but never cook with it. I didn't realize it made that much difference.

Your garden harvest looks about like mine. I'm grateful for everything I get because it hasn't been our best year for gardening.
Leigh, thanks for your help too. Yes, you can substitute white sugar with either maple syrup or honey in most recipes. It's just a better version for my diabetic husband. It's still "sugar" but a real sugar. Yes, it's not been the best garden year this year. A very strange and struggling year for sure.
Yes my dentist takes my blood pressure. I thought it was just my age.
Sandi said…
My father's eye doctor was the one who found his abdominal aortic aneurysm. He saw evidence of it in his eye and sent him straight to the emergency room. The eyes are the window to the soul they say!
I see my regular optometrist but take the prescription to Walmart and I have been pleased:)
Debby@ My Shasta Home, Ha! I wondered the same when they started doing it when I arrived, but it's a new addition to a cleaning now.
Sandi, thanks for this information. It sort of makes sense now on getting a truly good eye exam.
Far Side of Fifty, thanks for this information. I will check into other options for my glasses.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart