Skip to main content

What's blooming? Foraging ~ New Gadget

 A few snippets from the flower beds.  It's not everything, but some beauties right now.  I took these on my phone, so the photos are not that great.  I have yet to replace my actual camera (soon I hope).


















One of our regular's from the herb garden - two types of sage.

We have  had this one for over 20-some years, and moved it twice.  Love it!  It already bloomed this season.

Added this sage about three years ago.  I believe it is called Greek Sage.  We love sage in homemade breakfast sausage, teas, medicinal teas, and tincture.  Sage tea (as well as ginger tea), is great for a sore throat.

The heat index was not as bad yesterday, as the day before, but we did get up to 96°F.  All  of the seeds, that I replanted in the vegetable garden, are sprouting but a scant few.  It will be hot again today, and then possible rain moving back in (we need it too).

I found a wild growing mullein plant growing in the yard, so I dug it  up and moved it.  It's bad timing the heat, but I took a chance. It was growing where we mow.

Oregano is definitely the "star" of the herb garden this year, but I do have new plans to try with lemon balm, and if we get more chickweed in the fall.

First picking this season - wild black raspberries and mulberries.  Not enough to make a jam, but enough to enjoy or use in an oat breakfast bake.


There is a lot more going on in the summer months, and I tend to let my coffee go cold.  I was out looking for canning labels, and found these wide mouth screw on lids.  I bought them for salad dressings, but found another use for one.  Cold coffee.  Not to waste that brewed coffee, it works great.


By the way, after 4 stores I finally found the dissolvable labels for canning.  I could not find a shelf label for them.  The 60 count box is now $6.47!!!   I could not believe it!  Even more expensive on Amazon.  Although they make storing so much  easier, I'll be using a sharpie marker on the lids when our current supply runs out.  The labels would be great for when one is gifting a canned item, or labeling tinctures, oils, vinegars (when using a lid that cannot be written on).

What's blooming?  Foraging ~ New Gadget  ©  June 2025 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Betsy said…
Gorgeous flowers. I used to print labels on my printer and then tape them on the jars with regular scotch tape. They came right off when the jar was empty.
Nothing fancy but it worked.
Blessings,
Betsy
Betsy, thanks. Also, thanks for that idea. That would be perfect for some things I may can this year.
Such pretty flowers! I would just print out sticky labels or use sticky address labels, you could always decorate them fancy like!
Far Side of Fifty, thanks! That's a great idea too.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart