Skip to main content

Small Harvest and Other Fun


I harvested a handful of green onions and chives before the very cold weather moved in (more so than before).  The chickens are not happy.  I'm not happy, but trying to find the joy in the days either way.





My kitchen has been in full force the last few days.  My goodness, I have never felt overwhelmed with baking and cooking, but it has taken over in whirlwind lately.  These photos were not even everything that was getting baked/cooked or mixed up.

Despite the need to get meals made around here, I managed to squeeze in a trip to the library book sale.  I only brought home three books, but snagged some free magazines too.  

I used to read magazines when Mom was with us.  She'd pass her magazines onto me to read.  When she passed, I no longer read magazines.  I never thought to borrow some from our library.  


In light of garden season moving in slowly (thanks to this colder weather), we've been enjoying our empty nest life.  Yes, we have repairs, a coop to finish building and so on, but some times we need a little fun too.


Johnny Cash/June Carter Tribute band

Righteous Brothers Concert

Over the last three months, we've been enjoying outdoor walks, hikes, hiking trails in other towns/cities, and we even hiked a not-so-easy waterfall (so proud of our healthy lifestyle, and progress in staying fit).

We have also been to a few concerts too.  We have not been to concerts during all of our long, busy years (and years) of raising all the kids and working jobs, so it's been a huge enjoyment.

One concert was a Johnny Cash Tribute band (very good, the guy was from Nashville), and we had the priviledge to see the Farewell tour concert of the Righteous Brothers.  Bill Medley is 84 years old, and he put on a fantastic concert.


Bill Medley also wrote a book, and you know I bought a copy.  It's on my list to read after a few more books.  In fact, I have had fun window shopping on our outings too, and that is how I have found advent gifts for Christmas.


My newest suncatcher I purchased recently.  Just ignore my dirty winter window.  It's not been conducive weather to clean the outside of the windows just yet.

Nothing earth shattering news for blogland today, and I bought myself some fun pens. One of my daughter's bought me a pen set for my birthday/Mother's Day(?) and I am down to one pen now.

The one on the top in gold says "Good Days Start with Coffee" the next says "Drink Coffee.  Be Nice" (ha ha!), and the last says "Caffeinated and Motivated."

Small Harvest and Other Fun ©  April 2025 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

The colder Spring weather is the pits, hopefully it will warm up soon!
Far Side of Fifty, yes, after a very long winter, it's been a rough cold Spring.
Leigh said…
Maybe nothing earth shattering, but lots of nice little day-to-day tidbits.

I used to subscribe to a few magazines and got a gift subscription to Nat'l Geographic every year. But the magazine prices kept going up along with the advertising while the content went down. It wasn't a good value for me anymore. The library is a great place to read the few that are still good.
Leigh, I agree with using the library. I am more prone to read it faster when I also have to return it ha ha!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart