Skip to main content

38 weeks until Christmas

 




I have an update on the taste testing of the trial size jar of Christmas Jam.  It's delicious!  However, when I spread it out on the sourdough toast, it appeared more like jelly than jam.  I do plan to look for a recipe to can this myself, and reduced sugar if I can find one.   Sharing the label in case anyone has a recipe to can jam similar to these ingredients.

Note:  After drafting this post, I read most recipes state that you puree the fruit, hence the jelly-like spread.  

Does anyone have a tried and true recipe with such ingredients?  I do not see a "Ball" recipe in my books at home. 


It seems as if every new store we visit on any getaway trips, or day trips is selling Christmas decorations.  Maybe I am just noticing it this year?  Maybe. However, even though it's now March, I am finding that the stores are not reducing the prices on the Christmas related items.




I bought myself a new pair of Christmas earrings - hot cocoa cups with a candy cane.  Made in the USA.




Books I borrowed from the library, that are related to Christmas.  I may have found at least one new recipe to try.

I read this Christmas themed book in my book stash.

Homemade gift idea:
Homemade Vanilla Extract.  I gifted this one year and it was well accepted, as it's a useful item.

Grow extra in your summer herb garden, and gift dried herbs in recycled jars for gifts.  Attach recipes to use the herbs with.  One year I gifted rosemary, and another year I gifted sage.  Sage is great for cooking, but can also be used to make a medicinal tea for soothing a sore throat.



Let's talk peanut butter fudge.  I want to make it this year, and the only recipe in the books I have borrowed (so far) use marshmallow in the it.  Is that the normal ingredient?  I am looking for a fudge that ends up with a soft, creamy fudge, with good peanut butter flavor.  Anyone have a good recipe?  I have my Mom's, but it's a skillet recipe, and ends up a dry fudge.

Comments

Betsy said…
I think I missed something in my absence about Christmas! Ha! I have noticed the same thing about decorations out all of the time. I really like your new earrings, they're super fun.
Blessings,
Betsy
Betsy, I have noticed that all of the new stores to us, have a section for Christmas items (tree ornaments etc). Glad it's not just me ha ha! I wish they had them discounted in price however.
I have made Spiced Christmas Jam using the recipe found on another blog. It is delicious, however, it does use a whole bunch of sugar. You are very clever at adjusting recipes so it is possible you could adjust this using less or even no sugar. Here is a link to it. www.onehundreddollarsamonth.com/spiced-christmas-jam/
Marilyn in SW MO, thank you so much. I think that is very close to the flavoring of the sample one we tried. Thank you.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart