Skip to main content

This and That

 

Yesterday's sunrise.  It was snowing all day, but it was one of those big, soft, slow falling snowflake days.  Beautiful, despite the freezing temperatures and lack of full sunshine.

Check out these photos.  I had to take them thru the window, because of the snow outside, but loved what I photographed (cannot wait to upgrade my camera soon).  There was a woodpecker enjoying the bird feeder later in the day, but the bugger was playing with me, and kept flying off before I could snap one photo, ha ha!







Look at the top of the photo.



A blog follower asked for the hamstring stretches that I was given by one of my daughters.  Here they are, but check out anything on Youtube too.  There are exercises on there that were also helpful.



I also did floor stretches in addition, and ate a well balanced diet etc.  Good advice I was given one day, is 80% of maintaining your health (good weight, or weight loss) happens in the kitchen.


~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~
Although I did some bits of deep cleaning yesterday, I realized my pile of paperwork that needs shredded is growing.  Our paper shredder broke down, and we do not have a burn barrel here.  If you have suggestions for a good quality paper shredder to buy, please let me know.  Otherwise, I will be looking for community shredding events (if they still have them).

I whipped up a batch of red lentil hummus for us to enjoy.  I do think, so far, it's our favorite of all the hummus recipes I have made, and I have made a lot of different ones (pumpkin, black bean, beet, roasted red pepper, green pepper, other white bean, butternut). I adapted a recipe I located online, but added more garlic and a can of chickpeas.  I will have to see if I shared the recipe on my blog.  If anyone is interested.

We have warmed up to 12°F this morning.  I am hoping the icy driveway melts away soon.

I have some new recipes lined up to try.  One I thought would be "new" to us, is not really.  It's basically a frittata with added spinach to it.

I have some new crochet patterns lined up to use up some crochet thread.  We'll see if it all happens or not.  I want to finish the current baby blanket too.

















Comments

Betsy said…
We're also up to 9F right now and supposed to be in the teens today. Finally the warmup begins.
We just had to buy a new paper shredder on Amazon since ours went kaput. It was cheaper just to get a new one instead of trying to take the time to track down a public shredder.
Blessings,
Betsy
I bought a paper shredder from Walmart. it works well:)
Betsy, thanks, do you know what brand you bought? Thanks. Yes, we are hoping for a warm up.
Far Side of Fifty, I am assuming they carry one brand? I may be going to Wal-mart this weekend for some shelf liner, so I will check on what they have. Thanks.
When these shredding machines were first introduced, I found them fun. Ugh. It’s no wonder there are now services that come to do it for you! The red lentil hummus with spinach sounds delicious.
Debby the hummus is delicious, but we don't add spinach. That is a good idea however.
I would love it if you shared the red lentil hummus recipe. Since TheHub mostly retired and is home a LOT more, I need to keep some better snacks around. He seems to need more between meal snacks than I do.
I loved reading what you are doing and thinking. I am glad both of out weathers have warmed.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart