Skip to main content

Goat Coats ~ Helping Others

 


I'm not sure how these survived in a tote this long, but these goat coats were taken to an area animal sanctuary yesterday.  I actually found one more after I took the photo to send to them.  Anyway, the zebra coats were made and sewn by myself.  I know, I am shocked myself.  I can still see the baby goats (kids) running around looking like baby zebras, ha ha!

I dug out my Mom's sewing machine and got to it one day.  The pink one (store bought) was for our very first female Lamancha goat.  The zebra ones were cut from old pajamas from the kids (recycled I should say).  I sewed velcro straps on,  and wah-la, goat coats for the kid goats when it was cold out.

The temperatures here are to dip into a brutal cold spell starting Monday, and the sanctuary has many goats, and kid goats.  They asked the public for help, and we decided to give them all 4 goat coats. 

We have no plans to raise dairy goats again, but we do have the means  (and  know how)  to do it, if we decide to do it again.  I can always sew new coats, so we are not sad to donate them.  We are glad we can help them.

Goat Coats ~ Helping Others © January 2025 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Leigh said…
What a great thing to do. Those coats for kids are so helpful when it's really cold. I figure I'd rather have them put their energy into growing rather than trying to stay warm. I can just picture kids in zebra coats!
Goodness how adorable those baby goats must have looked. I have not ever seen this so I looked it up and saw some pretty cute images of goats in coats. What a sweet thing to do!
I have never heard of goat coats but would love to see kids in the zebra ones.
Leigh, when we had the zebra ones on the kids one year, I got a good laugh every trip to the barn. So cute! Yes, the coats really help them stay warm.
Anne in the kitchen, they were so cute in the zebra coats. Ah, good memories for sure.
Debby, the coats really help the little kids when they are born during a cold spell or early spring when it can be cold as well. Thanks.
Betsy said…
Goat coats! I love it! How fun to see them running and around and I'm glad they will keep some little kids warm in this cold snap. It's already dropped about 40 degrees her in the last 5 hours. I just took Zoey out for her bedtime potty time and just about froze. And it's just going to get worse.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy
Betsy, I'm glad we could help them. I do miss raising goats, but I get that my husband doesn't want the extra work. We do have a lot to do around here yet in the way of home repairs/updates, new raised beds and more. You may be getting the cold temps before us. They are telling us that Alaska will be warmer than us next week.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart