Skip to main content

This and That

 I hope you all had a wonderful 4th of July.  We had zero plans.  The humidity was so bad, it could choke a person, and then it rained.  However, by dinner time the rain had cooled down the heat and thinned the air, so we grilled out with a few kids and played cards.

Today the air quality is said to be bad.  More rain is on the way.

Whats been happening?  Well, it's been hot.  Very hot.  

Delivery days happened.  There were personal deliveries to those who had "stuff" in our garage, a trip to the thrift store for donations I purged, and more.  We have more planned deliveries for other items.


I'm now contemplating a book purge on another bookshelf.  The photo only shows a portion of one shelf on the bookshelf (gulp).


On the repair front, weather stripping needs replaced in a few doors.  The weed whacker needed a new part (now fixed), and a few windows needed new locks installed.


On the garden front, we have harvested a few more bits.



Three garden salsa hot peppers, and one zucchini.  I made fresh salsa with the hot peppers, and boy are they hot!  They are a much more potent heat than jalapenos.  It will clear your sinuses.

A few days ago, I started saving our coffee grounds.  I am sprinkling them along the green/wax bean rows in my last ditch effort to save them.  One, they add nitrogen to the soil, and two, it deters some rodents and pests.  I'm hoping it works.  I guess we'll find out soon enough.

We have purchased some inexpensive plastic garden fencing on a roll to install around the green beans this weekend.  We joked that our green beans cost us $$$ this year to grow.  It will work for the season, until we recover our previous fence expensive, and buy more fencing for the entire other garden.

We are really hoping for more rain today, because I need to thin out the radishes (soil has been pretty dry due to the heat), and we have 3 trees growing in beds of various locations that need dug out (birds and squirrels are the worst planters).  One tree is a walnut tree, and their roots are like cement.


Speaking of rodents, I finally got my husband to get all the supplies we need to build two tree baffles.  If they do as they should, we'll make one more for the peach tree.  Yes, they will be green, because we could not find white buckets, other than Menards (and they were twice the price).  At least it's better than hot orange, ha ha!  Pictures to come later hopefully.  The supplies were much less expensive to do it this way, vs. sheet metal or baffles.


On the kitchen front, I tried a new recipe.  Only because it sounded delicous.  You mix greek yogurt with peanut butter and place scoops on waxed paper.  You freeze it, then coat it with melted dark chocolate.  I don't have a photo to share, but it was very good, however, the yogurt/peanut butter mixture did not freeze in the 20 minutes the recipe said it would.  I waited an hour, and still not frozen.  It took a very long time, so I have plans to do it differently, and in mini-muffin pan liners next time.  It's a sweet, high protein, cold snack for a hot day.

The kids didn't need eggs, so I once again boiled some, and made egg salad. It's great for a quick meal on a hot day, and you can top it with home grown microgreens.

As for the zucchini, I may use it to make a zucchini-jalapeno frittata.  Possibly with some Canadian bacon on the side, bacon or other breakfast meat.

This and That  © July 2024 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

So let me get this right it is hot there, like the salsa hot peppers but not the zucchini which isn't hot, got it. I go through around a dozen eggs per week because I like eggs, just saying
My son gave me one of those killer zucchinis, which is the size of a watermelon! I’ll make 2-3 zucchini breads. We didn’t plant a garden this year. Anything we want we can get from my son’s garden. He did give us a little tomato plant - he has no room for so my husband will plant in in a pot. At this time with the extreme heat. The tomatoes practically stew in the vines! We have to cover it in shade cloth.

I don’t know what a tree baffle is but I’ll google it.

Leigh said…
Nothing special on the 4th here either. The kids were at their inlaws so our celebration was to grill hamburgers. We can see fireworks over the trees from our front yard, which works for us.

Your peppers look like cayennes. Definitely hotter than jalapenos!

The yogurt/peanut butter balls sound pretty good. I've been making popsicles out of mashed ripe bananas, peanut butter, and a spoon of unsweetened cocoa powder. The bananas are sweet enough for the cocoa, so no sugar needed. A really nice treat on a hot summer day.
Jo-Anne's Ramblings, yes, it's hot here, and the salsa peppers are very hot too.
Debby, I try and pick the zucchini when it's small, but some times a few get hidden in the plant. A tree baffle is something wrapped around the tree, just under the lowest branches or midway up the bottom of the tree, to keep raccoonsa and squirrels out from climbing up the tree. Raccoons can eat all of the fruit in a night.
Leigh, the peppers are called "Garden Salsa" per the greenhouse we purchased the plants at. They are hotter than jalapenos, and not very big, but larger than cayenne.

The banana popsicles sound very good.
Mother Em said…
Also wondered about the tree baffles? Still cannot picture it in my mind. The birds and bad, bad squirrels have put their spin on all our peach trees, but I got enough for us put up. Now waiting on the huge fig tree to produce. Looks like a big crop this year. We pick lower branches, I freeze for smoothies (timing perfect, just finished last year's frozen figs) and leave higher branches for the birds, which come in, in flocks!

Happy Saturday. Mary in GA

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart