Skip to main content

Last Day of June (Already?)

 Despite our efforts with solar alarms and solar rodent alarms, the rabbits got the green beans (again).  I know we have to fence the other area, but it's just not in the $$ pocket book right now.  I should have planted a squash plant at the end of every row.  I guess we were really lucky all the years we've lived here and not fenced it.

The birds got all our blueberries.  I just didn't make it to town for netting yet.  It's been on my list, but I have to figure a way to cover the bushes without it touching the plants, and easy to remove.

I need to replace my mandolin this year.  If you have one that you really like, let me know in the comments.  The one I have is 15 years old, and has limited thickness for slicing.  It's not sharp anymore, and the case broke years ago.  It's just time to upgrade.


June went by way too fast.  It really depresses me to see the summer go by so fast, as we have not gone camping one single time yet.  It seems that we have such busy weekends most times, with battling the weather this year, I feel like we haven't lived life to the fullest this month.  Of course there was my fractured foot that set me behind on all things too.



At least I can say I didn't let the month go out without some fun.  We did take a weekend to the island and we recently visited a car and truck museum (which was worth the admission to see).

Are you doing anything fun for the last day of June?

Plans for July?  Maybe.  It's the hot time of the year, so camping can be a bit uncomfortable.  I should write out a few options to motivate me.  

As for home repairs and checking off the honey-do list, my husband knocked 6 off his list of 11 yesterday.   He actually installed the mole chasing windmill, that we purchased over a year ago.  He also replaced 3 more electrical outlets, and put a new bottom seal on one of our doors.  The hallway is not complete yet.  It's also on his list.  We just need to finish one step and install floor trim on half the hall.

There are two very large items in our garage, so I do have plans to have a delivery day and return them to their owners.  Not sure why we still have them (or even why) but I do have plans to get them out of our garage (space wasters, and not ours).

Last Day of June (Already?)   © June 2024 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Shug said…
I am with you....where has this month gone. The summer months seem to pass by so fast. I think for me it is because my daughters (teachers) are home and it makes me sad when they go back to school. I enjoy them. So difficult to watch your crop being taken over by the little critters. Especially when you have plans for harvesting. The Summer time sure makes it hard to cross things off the bucket list. Way too hot where we live to do anything outside. Good for your husband....sounds like he worked hard yesterday. Hard to believe we are only 6 months away from Christmas and the end of 24.
Sounds like one annoying creature after another eating your plants.

I couldn't think what a mandolin looked like so asked Google and was shown a guitar, knew that wasn't right tried Google again and yeah it is the same type of slicer I use, knew it sounded familiar.

Yeah July has arrived in flash kicking June to the kerb thinking she is a better month but here in Australia it is our coldest month
Shug, yes, June went way too fast. I am hearing that rabbits are terrible everywhere this year for everyone we know. Including those not even growing a garden.
Jo-Anne's Ramblings, yes by mandolin I mean the slicer.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart