Skip to main content

April Garden Notes

Just when I thought I was in shape, I was not.  The very first day outside weeding reminded me of that, ha ha!  Boy, oh boy, you do get a work out outside.  

Did anyone else venture out this month to start the garden process, clean up beds and such?  Did you slide out of bed, like a sloth the next morning, and drag yourself to the ever needed delightful coffee you preset to brew the night before? Only to find out you have more muscles than you thought?  And can barely walk, let alone lift your arms?


Note:  The above was drafted up prior to my foot fracture ha ha!  


The arrival of April has pushed all of our "projects" (indoor anyway) on the back burner for now.  It's that time of year to till the garden (done), start weeding and mulching flower beds and the herb garden (in the works), and planting the garden.

 

Our homegrown asapargus is starting to come up!  I have my husband on picking duty for now.  Yum!  No asparagus tastes better than homegrown.


I had plans to dig up the rhubarb in the raised bed, and replant it into a grow bag, for a temporary location.  The raised beds, which were our original beds put in over 10 years ago, are going to be dug out.  They were not tall enough, and we did not leave enough space for the mower.    I'm hoping the rhubarb does okay until we can find it a more permanent home. I will just have to wait a week or so to do this job.


Comfrey is coming back already.  I have it in a plant pot.  I have plans to dehydrate it, and maybe put a few poultices in the freezer.



I dug up the wild mullein plants that were growing in the flower beds, and replanted them in the area I replanted lemon balm.  I know they won't grow as tall, but they needed moved.  As of this post, they are still thriving in their new location.  Thank goodness we got rain after I moved two of them.  I still have one more to move.


(Green onion/parsley pesto  - can also be made with basil)

The herb garden is already producing green onions, the starts of bunching onions, chives, oregano and thyme.  I will have to plant basil, parsley, rosemary, cilantro (see below), tarragon, and margarom.


Although our chives are not all fully up, there are a few bunches that are.  I have dehydrated some for dry mixes and such.  I will freeze some later in the spring.

I dropped some cilantro seeds early this year.  We'll see if they come up.  If not, I have enough seeds to replant.  I'll wait a bit longer to plant more in the herb garden.

Although April is not completely over yet, I don't see much more happening for now.  I do see that my sage survived the freeze warning we recently had.  

Happy Gardening!


April Garden Notes © April 2024 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

Comments

Betsy said…
Living in the condo has cut down on gardening opportunities. Once we're done traveling someday I think I'll get some tall planter boxes and have a few things on the balcony. Right now the water issue is a problem.
Your plants and plans sound just lovely and I'm looking forward to watching your garden grow.
Blessings,
Betsy
Connie said…
Oh my, we are in the same boat. This Spring has brought on aches and pains that I hadn't remembered from years past. Of course, I am getting a year older with each Spring that I'm allowed to enjoy on this earth. Last Sunday I was pleasantly surprised to find a bunch of fresh asparagus left on my front porch. Oh, the joys of Spring!
Jackie said…
Started cleaning the perennial bed, and man I am aching something fierce. Just can not do all that I used to in a day.

God bless.
Leigh said…
Great post Kristina! Your asparagus looks fantastic. I love seeing a garden come alive again.

I can definitely relate to complaining muscles when I first get out of bed in the morning. Fortunately, they usually work themselves out pretty quickly.
Betsy, thank you. I hope some day you too can enjoy a few container vegetables or herbs.
Connie, I could not believe how bad my body ached after one day ha ha! You are right however, getting older takes more on the body. What a blessing to have asaparagus left for you.
Jackie, I am in the same boat. I use to get all of the flower beds done in a day and that doesn't seem to happen now ha ha!
Leigh, thanks. We are thrilled to be eating asparagus in April. Some years, we don't get it until May. I told my husband, after hobbling around with a fractured foot, I won't complain about getting my aches and pains from the garden work/outdoor work anymore.
Debi said…
My herb garden is small and it's early here to plant most things, but today I planted some dill. In another week or two I'll be able to plant more herbs. My parsley from last year is peeking through the mulch.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart