Skip to main content

Just the Bits

 


There is no method to figure out this winter weather madness.




One day it's rain, cold and windy, the next snow and very cold, and the next? We were in the delightful 60's for about 3-4 days.  We actually hit the lower 70's one day. Thunderstorms rolled in next.  

I took advantage of the better weather, and put the laundry on the clothesline.  It gets me outside, I get some extra physical movement, and a lower electricity bill.  A win all around.



I saw my first Robin.  I actually saw several.  The mornings now start much darker, but as the sun rises, the birds are busy singing good morning to the world.  I took that photo through my window, and I do need to wash some more windows ha ha!





I'm enjoying my nettle/oat straw tea infusions.  I serve them iced for us, and yes it tastes earthy, but very healthy at the same time.  The list for benefits of nettle alone is very long, and I am already seeing one benefit - healthier fingernails and hair.  I have been using the XL (come with drawstrings) teabags to fill for tea infusions, and I have to say that I love them.  They were an accidental purchase (meant to buy single use fill and brew type), but have come in handy for these tea infusions.  I love the no mess clean up vs. straining it out of the jar.



Daffodils are making their spring appearance.  I'm hoping the down pours here do not damage the flowers.


....and then there was one.  My husband, against my wishes, took them out to the grill, and broke the salt shaker.   These were antiques, and the replacements will not be.  Whatever they end up as, they will be more practical.  We used to have a set just for the grill, but we could not find them.

March Garden Notes:
-trimmed back the peppermint and spearmint plants (these are in contained pots, so I am hoping for them to spring back to life)
-dropped more egg shells out on one area of the vegetable garden

-yarrow is already growing this spring (also in a flower pot)

-deer tracks are all over the garden(s), which is odd.  We have never seen this many in all the years living here (the husband says we need a dog or two)

-I have seen a few ground hogs here and there

-I have seen a stray cat a few times here lately, and it can hang out if it continues to be good rodent removal

-today's rain is said to continue all day long and night, and will not stop until 10am tomorrow morning.  It will help the herb garden spring alive, and the fall planted garlic, but will flood some of the ground.







Comments

Debi said…
We've had two days of glorious spring weather, but the cold and rain and possible snow comes back tomorrow. Love your daffodils... mine won't be up for another month!
Leigh said…
I'm going to have to look for some of those drawstring teabags. I've hesitated because I assume they're messy to clean(?) Any tips on that?
Thanks Debi, they are up early, but some years they do bloom in mid March.
Leigh, these are disposable bags. I thought I was ordering the press and brew single use disposable ones, but accidentally ordered the full pot brew bags. In the past I have use the cloth ones that you reuse, and yes they are a pain to clean.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart