Skip to main content

Garden and Storms ~ Air Fryer Zucchini Fries (low carb)

 



Yesterday's pickings.  Even though I picked the day before, and I obviously missed some cucumbers.  Those larger ones went to the chickens.





In lieu of a severe storm threat yesterday afternoon and evening, I tied up the last 35 tomato plants, hit the stakes again (best I could with a dry ground), and found another worm.  I accidently slammed the side of my thumb while hammering stakes in (not the first time for either of us).



I could barely bend my thumb to cook nor do dishes, so I whipped up a comfrey poultice, and today there is barely the sight of a bruise, and pain is about zero.


We have been enjoying our homegrown green/wax beans.  We don't eat potatoes like we used to, but last night was just the right time.  So good with bacon.  



My husband is my entertainment lately.  He is coming up with ideas for the extra zucchini, and last night made these in the air fryer.  Blech.  Coconut oil with an egg dig and seasonings.  

We got a laugh, and then I took over and looked up some recipes.  Almost everything involves breadcrumbs, but we adapted a recipe.



It was a winner recipe for air fryer zucchini "fries" for us.  The original recipe calls for either almond flour or panko.  We are not fans of panko (it contains high fructose corn syrup).  

During a shopping trip, I had picked up a healthier version of panko at our grocery store.  It's called Aleias Panko Bread Crumbs, but gluten free, soy free, corn free, low sodium, non-gmo etc.  Otherwise we followed the recipe and these were delicious!  I good replacement for french fries when we have walleye or perch for dinner.  The recipe is online at Gimme Delicious, Air Fyer Zucchini Fries (Keto - low carb).  If I remember correctly, they do give instructions for oven baking them as well.

We did get our storms and rain last night.  I know the garden needed a good soaking, but I will have to wait to venture out.  It could be too wet to walk in, and I know I will have something out there to pick. The ground doesn't look that wet from looking out the window, but I'll be finding out soon enough.






Comments

Leigh said…
Ouch about your thumb! Comfrey to the rescue!

Looks like you're getting a nice steady garden harvest. The zucchini fries look good; that's something I've not tried with my air fryer. (which I confess I probably don't take good advantage of).
Leigh, the air fryer fries were so good, but we too do not use the air fryer enough. It's a pampered chef version I traded my Mom for, and we wished we had kept our smaller one.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart