Skip to main content

Fried Green Tomatoes in Breakfast Burritos

 

I decided to add some fried green tomatoes to our breakfast burritos this week.  You know me - waste nothing.  I trimmed some of the tomato plant, but have more to trim.  Hopefully, the tomatoes will start to get bigger.

We got a lot of rain last night, and they predict rain for the next 4 days.   We needed it.  We could use more.  It will make weeding much easier.  I've been keeping up with the vegetable garden, but one tomato patch will need it again after this rain.

I will be back to painting bathroom trim.  I had to halt on the painting yesterday, due to the handyman needing one of my saw horses, but that was okay.  I got a hot minute to crochet, but it's a new project for a fall craft show, and I barely got it started before needing to make dinner.

I didn't get a photo, but I made us potatoes, garden green beans and bacon for dinner.  Oh so good, and one recipe that I grew up on, and Mom used to make.

If the rain stops by Monday or Tuesday, the bathroom shower, and flooring will be going in (crossing my fingers).

Our handyman initially quoted us $10/hr. for the bathroom job (he has worked 2 weeks/ 8 hr or less days so far), but after we ran into so many more repairs, he changed his tune.  We know him, but now he wants much more, so the living room will be repaired by us and us alone (which will take a LOT longer).  He's asking way more than we expected, but he did do a lot and it's way less than any professional business would have.  Sigh....

We may ask the boys (nephews) for assistance, and I know they will refuse to be paid.  If we are lucky to get their help in any way, I'll be whipping up a lot of food to feed them and their families.  It's what we do.

Comments

Latane Barton said…
That sounds like a great idea... fried green tomatoes but I'd say anytime of the day.. breakfast, lunch, supper... bedtime snack. Alas, I do not have any green tomatoes to fry!
Latone, I usually only have green tomatoes at the end of the season, but I needed to trim a few "big boy" type tomato plants.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart