Skip to main content

Storms and other ramblings

We had thunderstorms and some areas had damage from them.  I'm about to head out and check on the garden.  It'll be too wet to work in, but need to do a look-see anyway.

Limited to what I had on hand, I dug out some crochet thread and worked on something one of the kids suggested I make.

The strawberry turned out a perfect size, but will change the keychain part to something different.  The watermelon turned out a bit too big, so I'll make it smaller next chance I have.

I am finding out how many muscles I have while painting.  I was down on the floor on my stomach painting under cabinets.  I had to laugh when I told my husband this, and his response was, "I can take the trim off or you."  He's been saying that since the beginning of May (he has no time to do anything but rest when he gets home).   Most smaller trim was already off and is all painted,  One more coat and floor trim is done.

I am not running out of things to do, that is for sure.  As soon as the flower beds dry enough I will be weeding those, along with the herb garden.  I yanked a honeysuckle from the flower bed yesterday before the rain, and replanted it on the property line for a wind block.  I figure the birds gave it to us, why not utilize it elsewhere.

My lemon balm, and oregano are fully really to harvest.  The green onion and bunching onions are doing great thanks to the rain.

I tossed down more swiss chard seeds, and took a look at the kale.  It's doing pretty good, but not ready to harvest.

I did a quick check on infused oils, and need a few made this year.  I use them to make my homemade lotion, chapstick etc.  Speaking of list making the other day, I am about to start another one - restock items that need made that go in the freezer.  I must stay on top of what needs stocked up.  The way the gas prices are going, it's become worrisome.


Comments

Jackie said…
We are just at the edge of a frost warning. This is late for us as usually by now we are really warm. I may have to go out and cover a few things.

God bless.
Jackie, we were lucky not to have another frost. Hope all went well for your garden.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart