Skip to main content

Snail Mail Surprise and other Tidbits

 

I went to the porch to get the garden cart, to fill with wood, and found 2 boxes delivered.  One contained sugar cookies and chocolate chip cookies, which were sent from Daughter K's boyfriend's mother and grandmother.  What a nice surprise (sent due to the passing of Mom/Grandma).

The other bigger box was sent to Daughter K from the business she works.  It was a grant that they had for employees getting covid.  They were a month late, but it was mostly food, but also contained disinfectant wipes, tissues and chapstick.

We woke up to a very cold morning, snow and a lot of ice.  Lovely.  

My green bell pepper seeds are finally sprouting, as well as some of the hot pepper seeds.  I am looking forward to spring.

Comments

Faith said…
Me too! I’ll be starting my seeds on March 1st. It’s icy here too. Spring is closer than it was yesterday👒🧶.
Carol said…
What nice surprises! I am sorry to hear of your mom's passing. I am so ready for spring as well.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart