Skip to main content

Puttin' Up

 


I sliced up 6# of apples and cooked them down, while I multitasked....


...and sliced and diced 6# of onions and filled my large dehydrator. Part of them will be ground into onion powder and part will be saved as they are.

I'll probably make applesauce again.  I didn't write down any notes on my recipe (basically instructions with number of pounds), and may have doubled it last time. 



Thankfully I thought ahead for the busy day.  I put an all-in-one dinner in the crock pot.  Four beans and sausage, with home grown green bell pepper and home canned ketchup.

I cut up yellow netting, and it took almost 3 hours to cut enough strips for 11 scrubbies.  It's sort of back breaking work, as it is a lot of netting and I cannot just simply fold it over several times (10 yards) and cut it quickly.  I'm not sure how many more years I'll be selling them.



By the way, two tips with homemade scrubbies.  I've had someone buy them for her husband and said he uses them to get the bugs off his windshield.  My brother uses one to scrub his potatoes.

Today marks day 5 that our mower guy didn't show up.  We had a biker friend over last night and asked if he would mow for a fee.  My husband works all weekend, and I do not know how to use the mower (it's a larger golf course style mower).  I have asked him to teach me, but he refuses.  I think he realizes though I am putting something up every day, and home cooked meals take time (which he appreciates). 

Hubby had his check up at the doctor.  He not only lowered his sugar number, but also lost more weight.  We are both thankful for this, and I'll continue to concentrate on meals to help with his health.

We woke up to a brisk 27°F.  The weather will be a bit warmer this weekend.

Comments

Katie C. said…
I make sugarless applesauce in my slow cooker. Peel, core, cut and cook 4 hours. I put mine through the blender because I bake with it too. I usually do two batches and then reheat on the stove top so I get a full canner of pints.

-Katie C.
Unknown, thanks for the slow cooker suggestion. Great idea!
Rebecca Knox said…
You sure stay busy and it's inspiring! Sorry you haven't gotten your yard mowed yet. My cousin has kept up with mine for me since John passed away...which I greatly appreciate. Glad to hear that your husband had a good doctor's report. What a blessing! Have a wonderful weekend!
Thank you Rebecca, have a fabulous weekend too.
Tracy dixon said…
My husband discovered he's in the pre diabetic stage and we have been trying to substitute. He read about the benefits of cinnamon for blood sugar.
Tracy, we do use a lot of cinnamon. It is one that I buy bulk to save money on.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart