Skip to main content

Fire Powder and Ramblings

My hot pepper plants still give-ith.  If there is such a word.  This mess was ground up and put on parchment paper in the dehydrator.  Once dry, it will be ground into, what I call, Fire Powder.

I haven't had time to pull anything else from the garden.  Now we are dodging rainfall for the entire week.

I attempted to get my to-do list tackled, but it rolled over into today.  I did however, remember to drain a jar of homemade vanilla extract I had sitting on my counter for a few days.

Last weekend I bought the Sunday paper.  I haven't read a local newspaper in a long, long, long time.  The comics were the only good thing in it.  I remember as a kid we'd take silly puddy and press it onto the comics.  Dad would save the comics for wrapping paper.  Oh the good ol' days.


Comments

M. Meyers said…
Yes! I remember that Silly PUtty trick. I quit taking our local paper years ago. Hubby fought me to go digital, but I love holding a newspaper (and a book! I don't "Kindle.") But even I could see that getting that paper was such a waste of money! When we stay in hotels, I always grab the complimentary newspaper. Our garden is so overgrown! Yesterday I coaxed both granddaughters to brave the knee-high weeds (they're 6 and 7) to pick the last of the zinnias and marigolds. We lost all of August and September due to Hubby's 87 year old dad being hospitalized with COVID, so we went out-of-state to stay with his mom. We then cleaned out their house and moved into a Skilled Nursing Facility. Then I got COVID and was stuck at home and then my baby brother died suddenly from a heart attack. No one has had any energy/emotion to spend on a garden. Yesterday, I did put those last summer flowers around the house and decorated the porch for fall. Baby steps....
Faith said…
Blogger I fear is taking a hit to fb,ig,yt. People want instant information/gratification. While I do like yt, I still really like blogging, it is another creative outlet, or can be if one had mojo. I'm hoping what is old will be new again. Blogging is fun, if you have something to talk about My Rosemary plant isn't very big, but I should take a few snippets off and dry them. No leaf changing here yet, seems late this year.
M. Meyers, I am so sorry to hear about your baby brother. I too love to hold a real newspaper or books.
Faith, I agree. I don't use anything but fb, but you are probably right. I love writing my blog, but see less and less to read anymore. Not much changing in color here either. I'm glad though. It will feel like a longer fall this year.
Jackie said…
I definitely remember using Silly Putty on the comics.

God bless.
My hot pepper are still giving too. Making some pepper sauce . I love the comics :
Jackie, good memories for sure.
Lisa, that's great! Love a good sauce.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart