Skip to main content

From Pile to File ~ New Recipes Tried

 



I made Cajun Angel Hair and Sausage.  New recipe tried!  I had some organic angel hair pasta and wanted to use it.  I finally found some non-gmo smoked chicken sausages too.  The recipe includes fresh green onion in the recipe and I used freshly snipped home grown green onion to top it with.  Oh my!  I'll tweek the sauce part (needs more), but the taste was fabulous.  I made homemade Cajun seasoning for it.

This recipe was a favorite.  Normally, you cook meat or brown it first, and this recipe is a toss it all in but the pasta.  Loved it.  I didn't expect it to taste so good on account of lack of ingredients.  I used 2 homemade beef bouillon cubes (because that is what I had). I just added the pasta last, cooked some peas and shredded some cheese.  The recipe is online as well - Slow Cooker Chicken Bolognese Pasta.  Does anyone have a dry homemade mix recipe for chicken bouillon?  Or one for freezing in cubes?

Speaking of all this baking and cooking, I have a container of organic non-gmo shortening, but it has coconut in it.  Do any of you have recipe ideas this would taste good in?  I basically use shortening for birthday cake frosting and that won't taste good in that.

Comments

Mary P. said…
It is easy to make bouillon from homemade chicken or beef broth. Boil until it is reduced down to where it coats the back of a spoon. A gallon reduces down to just a few cups. I pour it into a square baking dish lined with parchment and let it cool completely, including overnight in the refrigerator. It should be the consistency of really solid gelatin. Cut it into cubes and spread out on a parchment-lined cookie sheet and freeze. Once frozen solid, put all the cubes in a freezer-safe container or ziplock baggie.
Leigh said…
Looks yummy! We love angel hair pasta. Funny how size and shape can make a difference in how we think something tastes.

Is the coconut oil in the shortening refined or unrefined? Refined has no coconut smell or taste, and I use it in everything. But the unrefined is definitely coconut distinctive.
Josepha said…
I think the show you want for the garlic powder in the chicken feed is “P:Allen Smith garden home”; episode 1501 Upcycle your life and repurpose items. It’s in the middle of the show. You can find it on YouTube. I watched it last night on the tv.
Thanks Leigh, I just checked it's unrefined. I didn't realize it when I bought it.
Thank you Josepha, I'll search for that.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart