Skip to main content

Chickens ~ Mailbox is up ~ Hobby Lobby Stops Offer ~ Porch Sign

Sadly, my oldest Araucana has passed away.  I think she was about 6-8 years old (more so leaning towards 8 maybe). I also had to be careful letting the others out.  There was either a hawk or eagle in the area, looking for a meal.  



We went to one of the bigger cities to pick up chicken feed, and I found this!  USA product.  Did you know most meal worms are a product of China?  My chickens love the chicken crack.

I made a quick stop at Hobby Lobby, but did you know they did away with their 40% coupon?  I asked about it and was told they have to stop offering it until business picks up again.  However, she said when items are on sale now, they are 50% vs. the regular 40%.  Anyway, I'll go back when the item I need to restock is on "sale" in order to get a better price.  The whole idea to get more business by taking away a coupon (good on one item) makes no sense to me.

The weather was finally good enough to install our new mailbox.  The wind had died down and the sun was out.  Still on the chilly side, but sunny.

We also put up my new porch sign I found last year.

We ended up playing cards on the porch until dinner time.  Porch time was so worth it, as the weather was pretty nice.



Comments

Chasity said…
Thanks for mentioning the Hobby Lobby coupon thing, I haven't gone in awhile and never would have known until I got up to the register.
mamasmercantile said…
Sorry about the loss of your chicken, its hard as you become so attached to them. Love the porch sign, such fun and so nice to be able to sit out for awhile.
Chasity, you are welcome. I did not know until I was about to have netting cut.
Faith said…
I really like Hobby Lobby, albeit I have I have to drive farther to get there. Micheals and JoAnn's just a mile or so. I love their crochet thread, and they have nice sales, and a nice selection of other things. Just opened one in Avon, Ohio. A bit of a drive for me. Enjoy your springlike weather.
Faith, I have to drive 25-30 minutes either way to get to the craft stores. I have Hobby Lobby and JoAnn's one direction and Micheals and Hobby Lobby the other direction.
Debi said…
Hobby Lobby's policy makes no sense to me either. Our store is new and I only go there when I absolutely have to. I don't find the staff to be particularly helpful or friendly. But, they are the only place to buy fabric and yarn. The next closest is a JoAnn's that is an hour's drive away.
Debi, our stores are a good drive too, and yes the staff is not friendly. Once in a while I'll get a nice person, but once I had to actually call the store while in the store to get someone to cut netting for me. So frustrating, but I think employees are getting so tired of being forced to wear a mask in our state. Our restrictions are not lifted and in we are really getting tired of it overall.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart