Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Tuesday Tidbits

Yesterday morning I piddle-dinked away on the procrastination station (computer). I picked out some new recipes to try, printed out a crochet pattern, and after 15 attempts to get the wood stove fired back up, I finally went out to the barn to retrieve cut barn wood boards for kindling.

Although I said yesterday that I'd take the day slow, I decided to wash bedding, remake the bed.  Boy oh boy, was Tiger mad at me - kept meowing until the bed was remade (ha ha ha!).

It'll be the first year my husband and I won't exchange gifts.  We would like to buy ourselves a new TV (if the price is right).  We are gifting the girls that are living here, and one has a birthday just before Christmas.  No gift card buying either.  I'm afraid I'd get them for each, and the business could close from another shutdown (local winery, brewery, gift shops etc).

My dehydrated onions came in handy yesterday for dinner prep.  I didn't want to cut a fresh onion for only 3 Tbsp.  Here is how I made them (BBQ Turkey Cutlets)


6 turkey breast cutlets

Mix:

1/4 cup organic sorghum molasses

1/4 cup Bragg's organic apple cider vinegar

1 - 4 oz. home canned ketchup

3 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce

1 tsp. garlic salt (see note below)

3 Tbsp rehydrated, dehydrated diced onion, drained

2 Tbsp. organic light brown sugar

1/4 tsp. organic black pepper

Place cutlets in a crock pot, pour mixture over and cook on low for 4 hours.  I served ours with organic wild rice, but you could use any rice or even quinoa.

Note - Garlic salt:  Mix 1 Tbsp. homemade garlic powder with 3 Tbsp. salt.  Store in a spice jar.





2 comments:

Cockeyed Jo said...

It must have been a bad fire starting day Tuesday, for me too. I don't feel bad about my 8 attempts and going through a 5-gal bucket of kindling to start our wood stove now. The torch was past to Mel, who lit it on her first attempt. Go figure.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Same thing always happens to me too, but my husband had already left for work, lol!