Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Miss Thelma's Shenanigans ~ New Recipes Tried

My mornings are spent sipping coffee, stoking the fire, and listening to the snow plows hard at work outside.  It also has me thinking it's time to get back on the treadmill in the mornings (haven't had the motivation lately).


In case you missed the post, I caught Miss Thelma inside the feeder the other day.  Well, I went out yesterday after putting spikes on my muck boots, shoveled off 4 inches of snow and ice off the ramp (not easy with rungs on it either), to fetch eggs and feed/water the chickens.

I happened to look down inside the feeder (which when I am standing on the ground looking in, I have to tip it sideways).  She laid eggs in there.  They are confused as to where to lay eggs.  I'm going to have to build something so they feel like they are crawling inside something (in the sides of the coop).



Dinner - two new recipes.  Up  top is sweet potato/lentil stew, and below is Skillet bread.  Both are online - stew is from Taste of Home, and bread is from I Heart Eating.  Both were delicious. Sorry for the bad photos, it's been dark in the house with the cloudy skies and snow lately.




4 comments:

Cockeyed Jo said...

Give yourself time Kristina. In a couple of weeks the teeth of the grieving process will lighten. If it doesn't, gently nudge yourself back into an exercise routine.

Ms.Thelma's desire to sit on eggs during winter doesn't surprise me. Last February. I had a hen go broody in below freezing temperatures outside. My father, an old farm kid, told me that hens will sit on eggs whenever they want to.

Debby Flowers said...

Chickens are funny critters! Your photo of her just sitting there - she has the look of a hen who has laid and egg or is thinking about it.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Cockeyed Jo, thanks and you are right about the chickens. I found an egg in the fencing area one day.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Debby, it was the one day I actually had my cell phone with me and thought I should snap a photo. Just too funny.