Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Monday, December 28, 2020

Happy Homemaker Monday

Christmas week is always busy for us.  We celebrated our youngest turning 19.  Christmas Eve day my husband and I spent several hours doing heavy lifting at my Dad's place.  We were super tired by evening.  Christmas day we all cooked in our pj's and had a very relaxing day.  Our older daughter delivered a Christmas meal to Mom and to my younger brother, although the weather was pretty nasty with snow and wind. Younger daughter has a very (mentally) difficult Christmas, but we got her through it.



The little tiny island we got married on.  Then and now (from opposite views).  The little quaint town had to fill in the one side of the island due to erosion, and the sign was removed since then.  You can see in the second photo of where it was (it was a tiny small island).  First photo is our one year anniversary.  There is a small B&B there by it and that is where we celebrated our 22nd anniversary over the weekend.








We did some small town shopping, eating and whatnot.  I loved browsing their bookstores there and bought one book for $1.00.  We dined at a local brewery, and tried their bruschetta.  As all new businesses, they are making their food in different ways. Can't say it was the best bruschetta (made with olives and feta), but the pizza was delicious. Tried my first whiskey sour, because the cocktails were of limited choices.  I do not like whiskey sours.  We tried Buffalo Trace whiskey - good but expensive.

Oh, I found a copy of a two-book collection that I have been looking for.  However, it's signed, and was not priced.  They took my info and will call me with a price if they verify signature.  I have a feeling if it is verified as a true signature, it will be too highly priced for me.

I learned something too.  We browsed an antique store for a (what I thought was called a lamp shade) for my kitchen oil lamp.  Learned they are called a petticoat.  I'm told to bring my entire lamp in and they will fit it with one.  Sort of excited about that.

Back home and back to work now.  So much is now on the to-do list, but it keeps me busy.  The car repairs will resume, and other work.


Today I am joining Sandra at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom.
Will link when she posts.  I have to get started on my day.

What 2020 has taught me . . .
-Don't think on decisions too long, because life goes too fast
-Get the tattoo.  I was given one for Christmas by one of the daughters and I thought "You know, life is short, just do it!"  They are mother daughter tattoos.  Yes, I really did it.
-If you can't visit friends and family call them.
-Random acts of kindness put happiness in my heart
-Take more trips.  Don't put them off. And to take the younger two girls on a vacation every year.  They work hard too.
-To take care of myself better.  I have not been that great at working out.  Eating great, but not working out.
-Write a Will.  Dad didn't have one and it's been one headache for my younger brother. 
-to carve out more date nights with my husband.
-sadly it's taught me that some friends are more supportive than family.

The weather outside is . . .
Warmer than the past weekend.  37°/22°F.

On the breakfast plate . . .
Coffee so far.  Will make a casserole later this morning.

As I look outside my window . . .
The snow we got on Christmas day is all melted.


As I look around the house . . .
I also have several lists laying at my computer for the week. 


What I am wearing today . . .
Right now I am still in jammies and a thick robe


Currently reading . . .
Nothing today, but hopefully back to it.  Just haven't felt like reading lately.


On the TV . . .
Whatever catches our eye.


On the menu  . . .
-ham/bean soup to use up all the leftover ham
-chicken tikka masala
-meatloaf, sweet potatoes, 
-salmon patties, roasted veggies
-kamut snack bars
-breakfast casserole with bacon and veggies, greens

Something fun to share . . .
Nothing.

Prayers, Inspirational quotes, Devotionals . . .
My cousin who lost her husband to covid, youngest (still having a rough time), 













 

16 comments:

Jean said...

Looks like you got married in a beautiful place! Happy Anniversary! Many prayers for your family. Hope it's a nice week and that your new year is filled with many blessings.

Sherry Jolly said...

That bruscetta sounds soooo good! And I love feta and olives. I also love chicken tikka masala. I haven't made that in quite awhile!

Very sorry to hear about your cousin's husband. It's been a brutal year for so many people.

Faith said...

I've got some ham/bean soup on the stove as well. Ham leftover, cooked the bone for broth. All. Good. Our snow is gone just the way I like it. Here for Christmas Eve, and poof gone. Happy Anniversary.

collettakay said...

I haven't felt much like reading lately either. I do want to carve out more downtime for reading in the new year. Wishing you the very best in 2021!

Colletta

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you Jean

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sherry the bruschetta was definitely different, but good too.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you Faith

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you Colletta

Cockeyed Jo said...

Happy anniversary! Life IS short. I came to that realization at the tender age of 26 when I almost died the 1st time in a Life Flight incident and vowed I'd never have a bucket list. If I wanted to do something, I did it. That was almost 40 years ago and I haven't had a regret since.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thanks Cockeyed Jo

Sandra said...

Happy Anniversary Kristina. :)

I'm so sorry to hear about your cousin's husband, praying for them. I like the list of things you learned this year. I think we have all learned quite a lot during these difficult times.

GranthamLynn said...

That was a nice little trip. I enjoyed your post. I linked at HHM come see me and link at the Fabulous Party!

GranthamLynn said...

That was a nice little trip. I enjoyed your post. I linked at HHM come see me and link at the Fabulous Party! Oh I just noticed your profile. You Tat. That is so cool!

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Sandra, thank you. This virus is getting scary.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Thank you GranthamLynn

Luludou said...

Sorry for visiting so late!
LOVED the 2020 review. Great place to get married! that books looks like a good one.