Skip to main content

Determining to become an egg preservation expert - Water Glassing, Freezing and Dehydrating


First, thank you all for all your help with knowledge to freeze eggs for winter.  In the process, I was able to locate a wonderful article (and thank you Debby Flowers for the emails too, very helpful) online that you all may be interested in.

The article is online at Backyard Poultry, and is titled, "Water Glassing Eggs for Long-Term Storage."  It's an excellent read.  At the bottom of the article they also share other methods, such as pickling, freezing and dehydrating and how to use them best.

Water glassing requires your eggs to be completely free of debris, which means maintaining the roosts to keep the eggs clean.  It's not always that simple in winter though.  I purchased a food grade container to do my water glassing, and a lid.  Later I was told if you call your big box store and speak to the deli, they can save you containers they get frosting in, but to be honest I don't know how big those are either.  The container I purchased is 22 qt. and food grade.  It also has handles to move it easily.  I am following the directions of the article on using a "food grade" lime as well.



I knew my ice cube trays would not be large enough to freeze the egg yolks with the whites, so I went on my handy dandy computer and with the help of Amazon, purchased larger ones that come with lids.  On Amazon it said they were BPA free, but when I got them, the label does not say that, so I'm thinking these will be going back and I'll look for different ones.  I can't find anything like this made in the USA.  

If I run out of room, which I don't expect will happen for both water glassing and freezing, I will be trying the dehydrated method.  



Comments

Leigh said…
I love these kids of experiments. I've tried both water glassing and liming, and thought both were good storage options. The only negative with water glass is that I can't find it locally. Dehydrating takes the most time and energy, but those dehydrated eggs are great!

Actually, if you'd like some information to compare your research to, my How to Preserve Eggs is free at Amazon - here.

I'll be interested in your results and thoughts on all of these.
mamasmercantile said…
I will be interested to know how you get on. I have pickled eggs which as a huge success using a Amish recipe. I recently put some in the freezer but have yet to use them but I will let you know the result.
Hi
During the 2nd world war, I remember my mother, water glassing(using sodium silicate) the eggs in large stoneware jars. An old method.
Good luck with your preserving.
I ejoy reading your blog, thankyou.
Kathy in Wales uk
Debby Flowers said…
I will be very interested to hear how the water glassing goes!
Thank you Leigh! That is great news have that information available.
mamasmercantile, let me know how freezing goes. I may be doing that later if I get space in the freezer.
Thank you walking in beauty!

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart