Skip to main content

Rain

 We got rain as predicted and I was happy.  I hopefully will have an easier time doing some digging in the garden.  I doubt I'll have much, but it must be done.


Yesterday's dinner was beef stew.  I whipped up some homemade biscuits too.


I still don't have a vehicle, and everyone working here is working long hours.  I had no milk.  I had to make these using powdered milk.  They were still good.

As for a vehicle, my car is supposed to get towed this week or next to get the new engine.  Cross you fingers.  It's been so long since I had the freedom to go out when I want or need to.  Living in the country I have no options but to rely on others as well.

I am back to my to-do list, but first I'll see if we got any good sized beets out there.  Then I'll make up a list of what I need and send it out to everyone with a vehicle in this house.  Just maybe, just maybe someone can bring it home for me.

I hope all is well with everyone.  With the garden slowing down, and my days not so long, it feels strange so I'm trying to allow myself to have handiwork time without guilt.

Comments

mamasmercantile said…
So sorry to read you have no car, it must be difficult. Hopefully you will get your shopping done. We are blessed although we live on a remote Island and out in the country we have a little village shop which is so handy. The beef stew and biscuits look so tasty. Hope you manage to get some of your craft work done and enjoy the process. Take care.
mamamercantile, yeah, not having a vehicle due to the engine and the guy we need to do it is busy with someone else's engine repair. I'm trying to be patient.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart