Skip to main content

Carrots, or lack there of....

I finally took a look-see at the carrots.  I managed to grow the world's smallest carrots in 5 months of watering.  Dang drought.  Oh well.  I can't leave them in the ground either.  They will never grow to size by Nov even if I left them in.  Sheesh.  We did get a chuckle out if though.  Our one daughter's rabbit will love to munch on some of these teeny tiny nibblets.

We've harvested 95 bell peppers so far this year.  The season for them is winding down.

We've harvested 19.47# of jalapenos so far this year.  They have done amazing this year.


Comments

Carol said…
I never have much luck with carrots either. My potatoes done well this year, being that it was my first go at them. I have harvested quite a few peppers this year as well. There are a few more that I will probably pick today and then that will be the end.
Ulvmor said…
If I remember right, your soil is clay? I have managed to grow nice carrots in my veggie plot only in raised beds. I've built them myself, with leftover timber and old nails. They look like wreck, but work! And they are easier to keep watered, and if summer is wet, they still keep above water :)
Carol, it's been about 4 years since we've had a really good carrot harvest.
Ulvmor, I plan on either planting in a raised bed or grow pots next year. Hopefully a raised bed. Squirrels dig up my grow pots.
mamasmercantile said…
Such a shame about the carrots but thankfully a good harvest of jalapenos and peppers.
Thanks mamasmercantile. For some reason the last two years jalapenos have done amazing despite weather struggles.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart