Skip to main content

Strawberries ~ Strawberry Vodka ~ Pie Crust Crumbles and other Tidbits


I finally got strawberries at the last picking of the season (not mine).  I have yet to re-vamp our strawberry patch and sadly have about 4 June bearing plants currently (with plans to move them and add many more next year).   



I started a double batch of strawberry vodka.  We like this.  Recipes are all over the internet if you are interested.  I have more strawberries to freeze today.
I made a batch of freezer pie crust crumbles too.  It makes 6 pie crust crumbles.  I use the recipe on King Arthur Flour (available online).


My tip to do this recipe:  I cut the butter and put it in the freezer first.




I then measure out the flour etc. and add a bit of it to my food processor.


I toss in the butter and pulse it until it looks like this.



I then add it to the rest of the ingredients and measure it out using my scale, and freeze them.  All I have to do is thaw it a bit, and add ice cold water and roll the dough.  I have been using this recipe for a while now.


Anyway, that's what's happening. 


Standing and walking helps keep the worst pain away. If you have had sciatica, you know what I am talking about (and I have not planted Arnica this year - totally forgot about it {insert sad face}).

I want to bake and deliver another meal to our friends (wife of the couple had a heart attack).  Praying I feel up to it.  


We caught Mom and 2 kittens.  One kitten may have gotten taken by a raccoon (we have seen some lately).  We are on the job this morning, locating a Humane Society that will take them.  Cross your fingers we do.  It's not easy this time of year for any to take them, as it's kitten season right now.  One kitten is very friendly, the other and Mom are not happy with us.

Sadly, we are heading into a very hot week with no chance of rain until July 7th.  Watering is almost daily, so I hope the garden still progresses during this trying time.

Comments

Sam I Am...... said…
The only strawberries I get are from the store. I do have about 4 plants, like you but the weeds buried them and I need to replant them elsewhere. I hope your sciatica heals. I had it once and what a bugger! Take care and have a safe and happy 4th!
Oh, thanks for the pie crumbles idea! I use KA all the time but I've never seen that recipe, awesome!
Sam I am, we are lucky to have 3 local produce areas that sell the strawberries Thankful for that until we can establish an area for them without weeds. I love the pie crust crumbles. It makes 6 you can keep in the freezer and you just add the ice water and roll the dough. So easy to have on hand. They taste good too.
Luludou said…
Strawberry vodka? I bet it is good. Hope they will take the kittens.
mamasmercantile said…
Hope you manage to find a home for the kitties. Strawberry vodka sounds good, so nice for a summer tipple.
RB said…
It's been very very hot here lately. So glad to have air conditioning in the house and car. Been having trouble sleeping. That Strawberry Vodka sounds yummy. Called the VA doctor and she mailed me an RX so I don't have to go out to a drug store or anything.
Been so hot around here , haven't felt like doing much of anything - but you know, dishes have to be done, cleaning has to be done; if you leave it, it piles up and is worse.
I always have to chuckle every summer when I start complaining about the heat; this is the summer so many of us wished for last winter. Now here it is and we're stuck with it for a few months. LOL
Praying this COVID 19 dies down. (Too many lives are being lost regardless of whether one believes in it or not, the statistics are easy for anyone to find and review.)
Praying for a safe holiday weekend for everyone too, a safe and wise one, in Christ Jesus name. AMEN!!!
God bless you all.
RB
<><
RB, the heat does suck the energy out of me too. Have a nice weekend.
Cockeyed Jo said…
Heat we finally got but way too much rain.
Cockeyed Jo, I'm worried that's what will happen to us too.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart