Skip to main content

Random Tidbits


Thanks to the only rain we have gotten, I have more new blooms at the homestead.  I am picking green beans almost every other day now. 

Well, the mask mandate is causing so much chaos in our county.  I simply shop in another county.  So sick of this stuff.  What will they come up with during the next 5 months to keep everyone fighting and dividing?  Who knows.  I'm glad I have my garden to keep me busy.  Our state is being watched by counties now, and have a level grid.  Our county was put in a level to put a mask mandate in place.  They only change status by the week as well.

Cases are escalating in our county daily.  I'm starting to wonder if it's not a virus and rather a bacteria now.  It won't be long before they close everyone again.

We have no plans to return to the island.  Three businesses have not closed to quarantine.  If campgrounds do not close this fall, we do have plans to go camping.

People are buying up all the ball canning lids.  Regular lids are so hard to find.  I'm having family check their Meijer stores for me, as other stores are out or highly inflated pricing.

Happy gardening to you all.  I'm about to go work in mine.  We have a cool morning, so I'm taking advantage of it.

I have to repair a hole in my chicken coop (again).  After one day of repair I set a live trap.  I caught a pretty old opossum who was the suspect.  He however, ripped another hole in the coop.  Building a new wireless coop has now been moved up on the to-do list.  We are just tired of the trouble with the wire, and I've spotted a raccoon last night too.

I found 3 boxes of lids with rims at our grocery store, but that's it so far. 


Comments

Faith said…
I hear you friend. I have up till now have not bought into the mask thing. Now you can't go anywhere and stores are requiring. I'm not doing much shopping other than the grocery store, and my husband doesn't mind do that, he has to wear a mask at work. He works for the VA. I have a difficult time with the mask and I find myself hyperventilating. I have AFib, which is not user friendly to the mask. Ohio....what a mess they've made. I stay home, I'm a homebody anyway, and craft and bake and mind my own. Gardens and crafts will help us through the insanity...for you know, this is just the "current"scheme. There will be more. Take care.
pretty flowers, I think my Calendula is finally going to flower, :)
Faith, I'm with you on not shopping. I'll have more in the bank. However, I did place an online order today.
I got lids back early cause there was word that lids might be hard to come by when canning time came. Hubby has already canned some carrots & tators, not from our garden though. Got a little rain & the skeeters were out in the garden scavenging fiercely so I did my evening walk as quick as possible.
Wildflower, I found some, but not sure when they will arrive. Had to order them.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart