Skip to main content

Berries ~ Question

We don't have much to pick this year.  Too dry despite watering.  Zero red raspberries this year.


Does anyone know what this is?  It's a form of a vine growing in the trees.  It doesn't have any sort of berry on it either.

Comments

Lady Locust said…
There is a free app called “picture this” that is a plant identification app- so handy. Just a guess but might be wild cucumber vine- not edible.
Looks like a wild grape. We have some in our trees at the property line. I have used them in making fermented pickles. A couple in a jar are supposed to help keep the pickles crisp. Seems to work. I have never seen any grapes on ours. Just long vines with leaves. Wonder what others will think. Marilyn in SW MO
Thanks Lady Locust and Marilyn. I thought it looked like wild grape, but no berries at all.
Leigh said…
I agree it looks like wild grape. Do you have muscadine growing in your area? Makes fabulous jelly!
Tracy dixon said…
They look like muscadine vines. We had one and I didnt know what it was until they started producing berries which wasnt until Sept I think in my area
Debby Flowers said…
Looks like a grapevine to me too.
Rain said…
Hi Kristina :) I can't comment on what that might be, but I hope Leigh is right and you have some wild grape!
Mary said…
I don’t know, muscadine and wild grape leaves don’t have the sharp points those leaves do. Google for pics and closely compare. When I studied herbalism I knew a few people who mistakenly used something that thankfully didn’t end up harming them. Always be extremely careful.
Cockeyed Jo said…
I agree with the rest. Wild grapes don't always produce fruit. I've got two that I haven't killed nary a grape on either of them in 5 years.
Stephen said…
Agree with the comments above: that looks like a grapevine to me.
RB said…
Is that vine, a wild grape vine?
Our aunt had some growing by her house long ago. We loved them. We'd eat them right off the vine, even though you're suppose to stuff and cook them.
But they were very invasive too.
God bless.
RB
<><
RB, it's definitely invasive. Spreading out around one barn like crazy but no berries at all.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart