Skip to main content

No lilacs, apples or peaches this year ~ Last Graduation Ceremony

While out gardening yesterday we realized the last freeze/frost killed a lot of blossoms.  No lilacs this year, nor apples or peaches sadly.

Daughter had her second graduation yesterday, so gardening was a short day for us.  It was a drive thru and went way faster and much easier than the walk in one.  It was for her career school.

They even let us get out of the truck to film and take photos, and they had a microphone to announce the names and they clapped.  So much better than her hometown school.

It's official now.  She is the last of 6 kids to graduate.  Not sure how I feel, but glad I don't have kids in school after this virus mess.

The sky looks like rain this morning, but nothing is coming down yet.  I'm praying for rain so I don't have to go drag 100 feet of hose out to the garden today.  We need the rain badly, so we can do the last of the tilling and the very last of the planting.  Not much left to plant, but we need it in the ground ASAP.

Comments

Sam I Am...... said…
It reminds me of that famous quote "time waits for no man"! LOL! Congratulations to your daughter!
Our schools gradation was a drive-thru though they plan to have the regular ceremony some time this month if a gathering of that many people is allowed. Our community is open but still using caution & not having large groups such as in the gym at school yet. Our lilacs are not as abundant this year as they have been in the past though there is a little color & fragrance.
Henny Penny said…
What a shame the frost got your lilacs, peaches, and apples. Sounds like our weather here. I don't understand why there is not even one fig on the fig tree. Last year it was covered. Congratulations on getting the last child through school. I too would hate to have kids in school with this Corona virus. Hope things settle down soom. Oh, are those chiver in your last post garlic or onion chives? Thanks.
Wildflower Adventures, in our state we are still required to not be in groups of more than 10.
Henny Penny, they are onion chives
Katmom said…
Don't feel to bad,, we too lost the majority of our apples and cherries,,, due to a unexpected wind/hail rain storm.. and hopefully it is the last storm for the season, tho' we are expecting rains this weekend.. As for my Lilacs,, not as many blooms and kinda sparse...
Wow,, your last of 6, to graduate,,, What will you do with all that spare time? Oh wait,,, Garden and bake a lot more! lol!
Have a wonderful weekend and hope you get the much needed rain...
>^..^<
Linda said…
Kristina, I just discovered your blog and thoroughly enjoyed reading some of your archives. You've inspired me.
Katmom, my garden definitely is keeping me busy for sure.
Thank you Linda, and I'm so glad to hear my blog is inspiring. Thank you for visiting my blog.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart