Skip to main content

Garlic Scapes ~ Tidbits


Guess what is ready already?  My garlic scapes.  First time it's ever been ready before the radishes were ready to harvest.


Dinner last night - apples, cranberries, pecans and chicken were added when we ate.  There is blue cheese in there.   So good for a hot day.  We hit a heat index of 101°F yesterday.  Then the temperature started to go down.

Does anyone know what this flower is called?  It's not bluebells.  The flowers are upward.  I moved them from the last home and they are still blooming.  My blue daisy plant died sadly.  

We got some rain last night and we hope to get some today, but it may come with storms.  I'm thankful, as I do not have to water again.  

New carnation for the flower bed.  I'll plant it this morning.

We now have spotted 2 kittens, but Romeo scared them and poof, they went under the house so that will be watched today.  I see Momma is hanging around, so hopefully she'll call them back out.  It will definitely be hot under there.

Comments

Faith said…
You had rain? We had none. Today it looks like it might. You got alot of scapes. Neat!
Faith, yes we got rain sometime last night, but not much. I have to go back out to the garlic later, as I usually miss some scapes when I cut them off.
There was a farmer's market where we used to live that had the garlic scrapes. I made some pesto. The recipe came with the scrapes. I liked it but hubby not so much. It was chilly here yesterday & this morning. We were thinking we needed the heat back on to knock off the chill but survived without it.
Wildflower Adventures, It's hot and humid here again today.
I believe the blue flower is a campanula.
Chilly and wet here in Wales
Henny Penny said…
It sounds hot there. The blue flower you asked about looks exactly like the blue balloon flower we have growing here. They're really pretty, and a true shade of blue. We got a little rain today, but need more. Didn't think I would be saying that after all the rainy days we had earlier. The garden dries out fast.
RB said…
Gee, that salad looks yummy. I don't think I've ever had garlic scapes. Sounds interesting.
I wonder if that blue flower is a Princess Flower. I'm not sure they could survive your winters though, but that flower sure does look like one.
It's good to know the kittens have a good survival instinct. Hopefully, it'll serve them well throughout their life.
We had very very dark skies this evening, then just enough rain to make the dust on the car look bad. ROFLOL
Bro Tom finally has an afternoon off tomorrow, so he's wanting to get an oil change. I'll ride along and keep him company. If I don't get out of the house at least once a week, I start getting all maudlin.
Prayers everyone is having a great week. Be safe.
God bless.
RB
<><
RB said…
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/princess-flower-bush/growing-princess-flower.htm
Thanks everyone with help identifying the flower.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart