Skip to main content

Rose Bed Progress

We split hostas a while back and added them to the troublesome rose bed.  These are very large hostas and will crowd out the grass, but we have much more work to do on it.  Hopefully, I'll be back with a good update.

Yesterday I planted 23 sweet potato slips, but the rain returned and the garden is swamped.  I could only plant from the edge.  More rain fell last night and I am so sad that it may be another year of battling the rain.

We now realize how important a greenhouse is.  It may go to the top of the list if the rain continues.

On a good note, the plants have had 4 days of hardening, and we pray next weeks (predicted the entire week ahead) is wrong.


Comments

Faith said…
I don't have a large garden as we live in the cement city, but have a small square garden I have a few herbs in, I planted the tomatoes yesterday. I kept one in reserve and will plant it after memorial day as we used to.
Faith, I have yet to plant any tomatoes. It's too wet in the garden to till for them, and now we will battle more rain next week. I sure hope they are wrong.
mamasmercantile said…
I know you have outbuildings is it possible to change the roof on one to make a garden room. That is what we did. We took the corrugated iron roof off one of our outbuildings and replaced it with polycarbonate which is a form of plastic but clear. It makes for a great green house.
RB said…
I have a huge rose garden - red rose bush, white rose bush, red rose bush, white rose bush, with a pink rose bush wherever they'd meet irregularly. I never thought of planting hostas to keep the grass down in them, but what a great idea. We've been spraying and mulching, and that's a repetitive, never win job, so I'm going to have to consider hostas. Do you have a problem with them getting so big that sun can't reach the roots of the rose bushes and cause rot or mold? I've been wanting to use white quartz in them, but the garden is so big, that would cost a fortune.
Still it's beautiful when it's all growing.
Hard to figure out what to do with a pooling vegetable garden. Is there a way you can hoe out channels so it drains out to another area that you don't plant in maybe? I remember Dad doing that one year (at least). I think he had to do it several times after it rained cause the new rain would fill the channels up with silt. I can't remember if it helped in the end or not, but I remember Dad working hard in the vegetable gardens and I think with six kids, it helped a lot.
Praying everyone has a great weekend, and a safe one too. Be careful this weekend. People have been penned up for weeks, and some may act (and drive) crazy.
God bless you all.
RB
<><
mamasmercantile, we plan to use a portion of the barn we knocked down to build our greenhouse.
RB, we have plans to keep that grass down and someone mentioned old roof tiles. Not sure yet what we'll use for the rest of it.
RB said…
You know, I vaguely remember old driveways being covered in slices of old roof shingles to keep grass and weeds from growing in them. I think they were cheaper than gravel, and were pretty because they were all different colors.
God bless.
RB
<><

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart