Skip to main content

Spring Nettle ~ Snow

Spring nettle is coming up, but snow is coming today and possibly Friday.  I'm going out to harvest what I can for now.  I'm going to dehydrate it for now, as it's not much, but better than anything at this point.

I got another email from the school.  Graduation is still set for late may, with a back up date late June.

I plan to make another jar of Four Thieves Vinegar today.  Other than that, due to the weather, we'll be working in the garage.  I doubt thrift stores will be open any day, so I'm not sure what we'll do with items we want to get rid of yet.

Comments

Susan said…
I was just out looking at the nettles this morning - I have them everywhere, so am going to get enough for soup and drying. I know what you mean about thrift stores - I had put off taking my haul to the Hospice thrift and now I'm stuck with it until....? I am hoping we don't get snow - we're still dealing with the aftermath of two inches of rain on Monday.
wyomingheart said…
We had a snow shower yesterday here on the ridge. What kind of snow did y’all get? We have been busy with indoor projects, and like you...what to do with donation items. Let me know what you decide to do... I just might borrow your idea! Have a terrific day!
wyomingheart said…
We had a snow shower yesterday here on the ridge. What kind of snow did y’all get? We have been busy with indoor projects, and like you...what to do with donation items. Let me know what you decide to do... I just might borrow your idea! Have a terrific day!
Henny Penny said…
I pulled up several weeds? yesterday that looked exactly like what's in your picture. I need to Google and see what it's good for...unless maybe you have posted about it before. I'll look back. I have a Goodwill box in the back of the car. Been hauling it around. Hopefully, things will open up soon. (I just read your last post and left a comment).
Nancy In Boise said…
Spring is here in Boise, but we had cold this week, 25. Brrrr. I need to try homemade ginger ale, sounds good! All our schools are closed for the rest of the school year. I've got donations too, just will have to store til thrift store re-open. I hope you're family is safe and healthy!
mamasmercantile said…
The temperatures have dropped here too but thankfully no snow.
Susan, I bet they will make so many limits on what we can donate too. Not looking forward to that. I would hate to just throw it away.
Wyomingheart I am going to check when they have a Humane Society garage sale, and then call Easter Seals when this thing is lifting. We are just getting light snow with a mix of rain.
Henny Penny, it's a plant that will sting you without using gloves but we eat it and make tea with it.
Thanks Nancy we love the homemade ginger ale. So good.
mamasmercantile, we did not expect snow. Not in April here anyway. So tired of cold weather lingering.
Bovey Belle said…
I'm pulling up Nettles here as I am clearing a "wilderness" area which used to be a soft fruit plot before I moved it to the paddock. Now some old bushes have shown up and so I will have 2 soft fruit areas. Don't want the nettles in the middle when picking though!

Do you make Nettle Tea with your dried Nettle leaves?
Bovey Belle, yes I make a tea with dried nettle, and use it for baking. I sometimes blanch fresh nettle and freeze for other meals.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart