Skip to main content

Cold Front ~ My Zip is Back

Woke up to 18°F (felt like 9°F) yesterday morning.  We both forgot to stoke the fire before bedtime, so I was up at 5am getting it rolling to heat up the house.  We also had a thin layer of snow.  The chicken's water was frozen (I do not want a heat-able unit out in the barn), so I rotating watering units daily.

Woke up to this on the computer this morning.  Just love this kiddo.







I got my zip and zap back.  Maybe because of the cold weather, ha ha!  I was zipping around putting up more Christmas lights, and decorations.  Of course in between it all I folded towels, did more laundry, and put my craft totes away until next season.  I did the dishes, wrote out a shopping list, worked on the Christmas menu (cutting it down, but healthy and yummy), put some bows up outside, wrapped all the gifts, set rat traps in the barn, and brought in more wood.



...on the Christmas morning breakfast menu.  I know Hubby has to watch his sugar, so I'll drink one for him, ha ha!

There's one thing I'm really, really good at - making dirty dishes.

There's one thing I'm very, very bad at - watering my houseplants.

Thanks to my youngest daughter, I got an order for an infinity scarf. 

One of my simple pleasures?  Men's Christmas socks.  The only socks that keep me warm and fit (I wear size 11 shoes).  I ask for them every Christmas, don't get any, so I just go buy them.


Comments

Sam I Am...... said…
What wonderful uplifting notes from your daughter! I too can make lots of dirty dishes AND forget to water my plants! LOL! Yes, men's socks fit me better too....women's say 9-11 but they don't really mean it! LOL! Have a great day, stay warm and I hope you get a lot done.
Thanks Sam I Am, I love the Christmas socks during winter since they are tall and warm my legs too.
Rain said…
I'll have a mimosa with you! Your daughter is so sweet! :)
Cockeyed Jo said…
I'll have a mimosa with you sans the vodka. I'm glad someone has their zip back. Alls I want to do is snuggle under the quilt.
Cockeyed Jo, I still have a bit more to put out and more work outside, but so glad the weather is warming up a bit too.
Carol said…
I'm not a huge fan of mimosa's, but one on Christmas morning like this might be perfect. I am sure we will have some kind of wine. I will see what I have on hand.
I love the notes from your daughter. Our wood stove is always stoked before we go to bed, but this morning we were almost out of wood in it when I awoke. It's a bit nippy in here.
Carol, thanks. We usually stoke the fire, but one night forgot. Whoops. It's getting colder here now too.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart