Skip to main content

This and That

Here is a photo of the vintage tablecloth I bought while on the island last weekend.  I love it!  I need more of the longer ones too.


Overnight breakfast casserole has been made and baked.  We love this one.  It's spicy but good!  I don't make it often, as it's loaded with sausage.  I'll be playing around with homemade sausage to see if I can whip up a better flavor and much healthier.



I finally got a few bunches of swiss chard in the freezer.  I lso froze the stems for saute's with the leaves, or to mix in with celery and onion as well this winter.  I blanched the leaves for 2 minutes and the stems for 3 minutes (bagged separately).

We finally got our Kelley's Island Christmas ornament in the mail.  She only made 200 and I ordered it during our July trip there.  It's our first island ornament to go on our Christmas tree this winter.

Well, we are going through another rough patch with family and health.  Hubby's sister  "P" was in the hospital twice, and then moved to a bigger hospital one hour away.  Emergency surgery was scheduled for Wednesday.  My husband went to the hospital very early to see his sister prior to surgery (which is now delayed until they drain her infection).  I had to stay home because it takes me took long to re-bandage my leg and get ready.  Honestly, I was afraid to go, so I'm glad I was home.  I can't risk catching any germs with my leg procedure coming up.  By the way, I'm just waiting on the insurance to approve one of two possible procedures.  One is a quick in-and-out where the veins stay in, and the other is invasive, I'm put under and the veins removed.

While he was up at the hospital, I had plenty to keep myself busy, along with the puppy (who is doing great by the way).  I had one mess of a kitchen.  I got the tables completely cleaned off (they sure can pile up when the wifey is not able to do it).  I had boxes, dry teas, the griddle, my mixer, blender, food processor, and a lot more that needed to be put away.  It was nice at the end of the day to have vintage tablecloths donning the clean tables (we have two, for large gatherings).

I'm glad I had time to do some de-cluttering and tidy up time.  I uncovered my pre-pay form for propane, which saves us almost $100 on our next fill up.  The deal was expiring 9-30, so I am so glad I found that and got that done.

We also had a birth in the family.  We have another grandnephew now.  




Comments

Sam I Am...... said…
What's up with the health issues this year? My family too. I just hope I'm not next! LOL! Love the tablecloth and the ornament is darling. Sorry to hear about your leg...it sounds painful to have so I hope they can "fix you up". I can't pre-buy this year....too many expenses I had not counted on. Congrats on the new baby in the family.
Thanks Sam I Am. I know what you mean about expenses. I've had several doctor appts and they are more costly since it's a specialist. I still need to have the septic emptied.
Carol said…
Praise God for a new baby. I will be praying for your surgery. I have friends that have had both ways done and are doing well. I am going to need it eventually, I am sure.
Mother Em said…
No mention of the good ole soul doggie that went back with his "mom." How is he doing? Wish you could have kept him. Just wondering. Need update.
Mother Em, we are trying to get in touch with her to have a doggie visit, but haven't yet. I miss him so much.
Thanks Carol, I'm still waiting on the insurance to approve one or the other.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart