Pioneer Woman at Heart

One Flourishing, Frugal and Fun Family!

One family learning to live off the land, cut back on expenses, and to live a simpler and a more self-sufficient lifestyle.

Adopted Motto

"Eat it up,
Wear it out,
Make it do,
Or go without."
~A Pioneer Sampler, by Barbara Greenwood~

Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Back for an Update



I'm so glad we had a long holiday weekend, so I didn't have to take this turd out on a bum leg.  He was very cuddly the first two days of school, but after that, wanted to play and lay around outside.




First visit to the doctor.  First of all, I am lucky to have been at home until second visit.  His first words were, "you should be in the hospital."  Cost for my meds before insurance.  After insurance?  $5 each.   





One of my breakfast meals, served in bed.  Hubby made us bacon veggie omelets.  So good!  So thankful for it too.  I was tired of toast and coffee.  Second breakfast in bed was french toast, scrambled eggs and sausage.

Hubby and Daughter were not all that happy about taking over my chores, and I often heard long sighs, but they did it for the most part.  And although the guys invited Hubby for a bike ride, he stayed home, cleaned my chicken coop and mowed.   He even pulled a few weeds.  I felt awful, but he seemed to want to get stuff done here and help me out.  He was mumbling about the herb garden (photo is a few down on this post).



I read over a real newspaper for the first time in a long, long time.

Good, interesting book with facts, from the library. 




Meanwhile....in the herb garden....4-5 feet tall weeds.  When our 20 year-old was over, she was being attacked by grasshoppers taking over the herb garden.  Said it was "Jurassic Park" out there (second time I was told this, ha ha).  You can't even see my herbs, and I'm pretty sure I lost more than the thyme.

I watched a ton of cooking shows.  I'm surprised I didn't order a smoker after all those recipes I watched.  I watched too many for sure.  I have to say, the "Jazzy" vegetarian is somewhat annoying to watch.  I get tired of her repeating the "jazzy" this or "jazzy" that.

Anyway, I tried to stay off my feet as much as I could, but when Hubby was at work and daughter in school, the puppy duty was still on me.  Along with laundry and meals.

I tried to look at things in a positive way (having to be on my bum with leg up), I plunged into my handiwork, read some of a book, journaled and watched some "I Love Lucy" to add some much needed laughter.  They say laughter is the best "medicine" so that's what I put on the TV.


I got all of these completed while watching a lot of cooking shows.  



Bracelets (just need ends sewn in and buttons), another washcloth, two sets of boot cuffs and 3 sets of pot holders.  Doesn't really look like a lot for 6 days of sitting around though.

My laptop took a pooper, so I can only post from the computer as the pain gets better.   Doctor visit update?  I'm now heading to a surgeon.  More sitting time, but this time he was more stern about it.  It's been very painful.

Edited to explain:  Basically, when the table slammed down on my foot, it caused more pressure in the varicose veins in the lower leg, causing some to literally "explode" at the skin level.  The worst is a group of veins on my inner ankle.  Worst pain ever.  The "explosions" are now open wounds the vein surgeon will determine on next.  

I'll be back soon.  Thanks for visiting. 

8 comments:

Mama Pea said...

So what is the injury to your foot? No broken bones, I hope. I know you said something about varicose veins but . . . ?

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Mama Pea, I edited the post to add what basically happened. I have one very large open wound on my right inner ankle. It's very painful to walk on and take the puppy out. I sure hope he sleeps a lot today.

Leanna said...

Thank goodness for insurance. I would get a second opinion on your foot and veins. But if you can't, just do the best you can and take good care of your foot.
OMG! The Jazzy Vegetarian needs to go. Who let her have a show anyways. Her singing is the worst.
Take care, darlin.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Leanna, this will be my second opinion, but hopefully an answer too. Ha! You made me laugh out loud about the Jazzy Vegetarian, ha ha ha! Yes, her singing is annoying, ha ha!

Bovey Belle said...

That sounds horrid, and painful, and frustrating because you have to keep resting up. Still, you haven't been idle and I think that is quite an impressive pile of things made. Your mention of "I Love Lucy" took me back to my childhood . . .

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Bovey, thank you. It's been frustrating sitting and not able to do my chores right now. What's worse, is waiting for the surgeon to even see me. The not knowing of decisions is overwhelming too.

Faith said...

ewwww! the jazzy. NOT! I watched it one time, she is rather.....annoying. A little Lucy never hurt anybody. She sure gets herself into some things. Laughter is good! Good job on the handcrafts, progress is being made even though you are off the track for the moment. I hope you won't need surgery. Heal up girl !

Rain said...

Oh Kristina, how painful that sounds...and the insurance prices are insane...take care of yourself, and don't rush your recovery! (I would lol...) Your dog is simply adorable!