Skip to main content

Friday Finish and Other Random Stuff




Another new pattern to try out.  I love it!  Kitchen hand towel.  It however, takes 2 balls of yarn, and the kit it came in, uses yarn made in China (75% cotton, 25% polyester).  I couldn't make and sell them for a good price, so this one goes in my own kitchen, and some may make it in Christmas gift baskets.  Just depends on if I can find 100% cotton at a good price.  I don't like Herrschner's yarn  (Heritage Cotton) they sent in the kit.  Like I said, made in China, and so far every ball has had imperfections in them. 

Our 17 year-old daughter wants one for her Hope Chest, but said she's "never moving out" ha ha ha!  She's gotten the chance of many trips this year, and she's loving it, so it's on the "winter" to-do crochet list.  

The heat is now rising upon us.  I packed salty nuts and watermelon in Hubby's lunch.  It's so bad outside.


I baked a new breakfast casserole early in the morning to avoid heating up the house.  I'll let you know what the taste testers say.  It's hashbrowns, spicy sausage, eggs and seasonings, milk, chilies and cheese.  Recipe is from Allrecipes, adapted with organic ingredients.

I also boiled eggs for a cold egg salad sandwich.  We ate cold apple/pecan salads again the night before.  Just trying to keep us fed, but with colder options.


Don't mind the dirty house, but a wren literally made a nest in the flower pot near the front door.  I have to deadhead it and water it and well....may have to tap it to have her fly out to get that job done (daily). Photo was taken early Thursday morning.  That's why the temp on the outdoor thermometer is not to high.

We got a rain storm in the afternoon yesterday, and it was random and much needed.  If we don't get a random storm today, I'll need to water to cool down the expected 115° heat index on the garden today.  Chickens will get ice 2-3 times if needed too.  This is the worst heat we have ever had.


Comments

Leanna said…
I too had a little wren that made her nest in my hanging basket of Mexican Sunrise petunias. I took pictures if the babies hatching and then leaving the nest. It was interesting.
That's so funny Leanna. I love wrens too.
mamasmercantile said…
Love the crochet kitchen towel, they would make great gifts with some homemade cookies. The breakfast looked delicious. I am not sure I could cope with those type of temperatures.
mamasmercantile, thanks for the idea of the cookies with the towel. Yeah, we are not at all fans of this weather.
Leigh said…
The breakfast casserole looks delicious, but I'm with you on cooking less and eating cold foods more. I have no idea what the heat index has been and it's probably just as well! Yesterday it didn't feel too bad out and when I went to check the thermometer it was "only" 91°. The little bit of breeze helped.
Leigh, the breakfast casserole was a hit. We'll be adding it to Christmas breakfast this coming holiday. So good. Yeah, it's been very hot here lately.

Popular posts from this blog

Chit Chat

  The pickings are slim right now, but we'll take anything we are blessed with.  I made a salad and cleaned the beans.  The rain will give us more for a meal in a day or so.  The green beans are every so slowly coming on this season. I made a batch of homemade granola, and instead of my homemade vanilla extract, I used my homemade Christmas Spice Extract.  It smelled so good in the oven, and while cooling.   I picked some purslane, and am doing an experiment with it this time.  Update soon.   Chit Chat ©  August 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart

I've Been MIA and Heat Wave

First day of July.  It's hot.   I'm definitely not entering a stage of boredom any day soon.  Although I've been doing a lot, it's been productive.  We are in the middle of the worst heat wave I can ever remember.  So humid, there is very little to no work being done in the gardens for the last few days.  Heat index has been up to 106 degrees, and nights did not get any cooler than about  77 degrees.  The heat wave will continue for the rest of the week.  No rain yet. I froze water in small bottles to keep the chickens water cold, and froze treats for them. I canned a small batch of reduced sugar peach jam (before the heat  wave).  I have to admit, it's been very nice to can for two people now.   Enjoyed the last of our asparagus harvest.  The last two stalks were harvested June 29th.  The longest asparagus season we've ever had.  They look light colored, but taking them out of the fridge, they quickly...

Reminders?

      On the positive side (after the hot pepper debacle). . .                                                We are looking forward to creative healthy meals, derived from the garden and whatever is in abundance, or available.  The chickens helped supply this meal last year and was delicious. Beets roasted with onions and rosemary from the herb garden.  Also, a picture from previous garden years.  Oh, we put thyme on these too, and also from the herb garden. Not to forget those tomatoes and all the sauces made over the years.  That dish included asparagus from the garden, as well as oregano from the herb garden. Sometimes a roll down memory lane gives us the spark to keep gardening and planting.  Maybe.   Reminders?   ©  June 2026 by Kristina at Pioneer Woman at Heart